Tanami Tents

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 10:03
ThreadID: 21182 Views:1916 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Ok team, has anyone had one of these tents? Any feedback on ease of erecting, strorage etc. would be appreciated. cheers and beers..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 13:55

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 13:55
If you are asking about the Tanami Tourer, then I know a few had problems with leaks.
AnswerID: 102226

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:44

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:44
Hi Gimme:

I have had THREE ... one was a factory second I bought to see if I would like it. I like the floor size (3m x 3m) and the amount of headroom that the arms provided.

I used a wax substance that I bought from a saddlery to seal the seams (as it was not guaranteed waterproof) and it worked fine. Flushed with this success after having used it on my trip to Wilpean Pound and environs, I came back and ordered the top of the range Aussie made one - heavier canvas and floor etc etc.

This was a disaster - leaked like a sieve on my trip to Tasmania in December - January after a day of constant but light drizzle. I called to let the distributor know and after a few days he said I could have my money back. I continued my Tassie trip (with a large tarp ...) and returned it once I get back to Sydney.

I then bought another factory second off eBay which I used this weekend just past. No rain, but the tent was fine. If rains threatens I will use a tarp.

Easy to erect as long as you abide stricly by the instructions. The tent folds down into a bag the size of a large sports bag, plus a container for the centre pole and poles.

I think the Tanami is/was a terrific tent, but the Aussie made version was a total disaster. They omitted things such as the canvas tape that runs along the roof and fits into the pockets where the arms go .. no external ties to anchour it to the ground (as the factory second has), and also the windows zip up on the inside .. an invitation for water to come in.

Hopefully one day someone will get it right because the idea is good. In the meantime I am about to order a new Oztent with peaked panel, but the Tanami will still serve as a useful second tent ( or a storage tent on longer trips/stays).

Hope this is of use to you.

Cheers
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 102287

Sponsored Links