My punishment for going to Murray Sunset

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 18:24
ThreadID: 21189 Views:2398 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Decided not to go so we could save some $$$$$ for our trip to corner country in april. Driving at 80km/h on the black stuff today and Bang!!! Off came the whole tread of a Bridgstone Desert Dueler, The tyre has done only 7 or 8 thousand k's. Problem is it was the original spare according to the first owner of the car.Spent 15 or so years with a wheel cover on and never used,so when i decided to use it and match it with a new one i thought i was on a winner. So no warranty on tyre,but here's the worst bit...........
1/ Smashed off inside plastic wheel arch
2/ Broke off wheel flare
3/destroyed mud flap
4/Ripped all wiring to rear lights to pieces
5/Smashed panel behind rear wheel
6/even managed to smash tailgate??
7/Oh and even smashed the rear tail light.

Not going to MS saved me a bundle....................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 18:25

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 18:25
Sorry it should read punishment for not going to Murray Sunset.
AnswerID: 102248

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 19:05

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 19:05
Stu,

Perhaps no warranty, but the manufacturer has a responsibility. I have never been given any contract from a tyre company telling me when a tyre will die of old age.

Assuming there was no other damage to the tyre (such as nail or something, even then it should not explode), you have a case. Give me a call and I'll talk you through how to get retribution at the Small Claims Tribunal. You've only got $30 to lose if you don't win, but I reckon you're a good chance to win. I've won many cases.

We can start with a letter of demand and take it from there. Don't take it lying down big fella.

Mem Mess me a number I can get you on tomorrow and I'll call you from work.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 102254

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:59

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:59
your spot on Jim...i'd be taking small claims action too......
FollowupID: 360077

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 19:55

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 19:55
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, mate. I had similar experience with a tyre that was the spare for many years and not part of the tyre change equation.
The rubber deteriorates and when you use it and heat builds up, it goes BANG!

Not worth the hassle of legal action. Just write it down to experience and repair the damage.
AnswerID: 102261

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:30

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:30
Strewth Brew,

Remind me never to ask your guidance when I'm trying to save some money???!!!!

That really sux. Doing the tyre would have been bad enuff on its own, but all that other damage just adds salt into the wound.

Its making me think I better be careful with the 2nd spare on the trol; it's an old BFG Muddy and it's been on there for about 2 years. Maybe time to upgrade it and the spare on the camper.

Good luck with your negotiations.

Cya thursday night if you and Muddy are coming up....?

Roachie
AnswerID: 102282

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 22:27

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 22:27
G'day Brew,
Sorry to read about the mess!!
Certainly not having a go at you here, but your experience is a graphic illustration of why ALL tyres MUST be rotated on a regular basis...

This also should serve as a reminder to those of us who have trailers "sitting about" idle for long periods... ya need to chuck a bit o' weight in 'em & take 'em for a run occasionally, otherwise there is a real risk of the same thing happening to the trailer tyres...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 102297

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 23:43

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 23:43
Just goes to show it is a good idea to rotate that spare into the mix!

I know you may not be able to account for a previous owners actions but I think it would be a good illustration of the perishable qualities of rubber!

Bad luck brew - just be thankful it was not when you were doing 110 just outside Loxton on the way to MS!

Muddy
AnswerID: 102314

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 00:20

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 00:20
bugger, those tread belts make a nice mess dont they !

Cant you just claim it on insurance ? sounds like it will cost a few bob to fix up.
AnswerID: 102318

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 14:53

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 14:53
Rotating a spare tyre isn't going to help out in the future. New Falcons' spare wheel is a bright yellow rim with different tyre and a notice that you shouldn't drive it at over 80k's an hour. Wonder who will pay up in years to come when those tyres go kaput.
AnswerID: 102367

Sponsored Links