Which Car?

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2120 Views:1695 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Which car do i take around Oz towing a caravan for 12 months, reliability and economy is a must. Budget of around 15k. Also for those of you who have had real life experience towing with a diesel, what are your economy firgures and what speed was your average while getting them. Also if there is anyone out there who has had experience of towing with a falcon or similiar what are your econoimy figures.

Thanking you all in advance

Jordie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bruce- Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00
we toured with a 96 falcon wagon on gas/petrol...you should be able to buy something like that for your budget..economy is o.k....we did not have any troubles in 27000kms and our fuel cost $2100...that was towing a very heavily laden Jumbuck camper 3 parts of the way , then a 15ft Jayco poptop the rest . we travelled at the designated speed limit when and where possible . cheers
AnswerID: 7301

Reply By: Grant - Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

Hey Jordie,
Yeah, a Falcon in my opinion is a reasonable option, you will pic up a decent EF ('94-96ish) sedan for between 9 and 12 K. Or if you have them time to hit the auctions you will pick up an AU (newer shape) for around 14K. You don't mention your van size but I think an empty Falcon returns about 9 odd km/l on the highway so it will be less than that at a guess. Towing with a diesel is fine until you get to a hill unless you are in something newer with a turbo and once again van size is relevant. Economy wise you would possibly be better off with the diesel but there are a lot of determing factors. I'm sure someone else will be along soon with some more accurate info for you.
All the best
Grant
AnswerID: 7302

Reply By: Blackie - Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

Try this site Jordie.
http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/home.msnw
AnswerID: 7306

Reply By: Benau - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
I have an 89 commodore wagon I use to tow a car trailer, horse float etc with out problem, both falcon and commodore sedan and wagon will strech the body when used for regular heavy towing (rear doors difficult to close) but this isn't very common, In a 2wd you will find the driving much easier if you go to the extra expence of fitting heavy duty 1" raised suspension, A hayman reece box hitch bar of suitable weight rating that will allow the fitting of load spreading bars that go back halfway along the drawbars and suitable trailer brakes/controller. This cost $1800 in the commodore but was well worth it as the car will tow smoothly on max weight at speeds of 100kph. If there is only two of you travelling then consider an xh/xg falcon outback ute as they are already raised and have a heavy duty diff and suspension
AnswerID: 7628

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)