jackaroo air filter

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 18:46
ThreadID: 21213 Views:2974 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
went to buy a jackaroo 3.0 t/d air filter today and could only get a genuine filter($83.00) thought it was a bit steep for a piece of paper,anyone know of any cheaper elements anywhere?.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 19:11

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 19:11
Yeah the Genuine Toyota one for the surf is $95 ! Rediculous. That's why I use a uni filter....

I had heaps of trouble finding the right air filters for the Surf, there were three or four different air box's used in the buggers between 91' to 95'. I found persistance to be the answer. The trick is to have the genuine holden part number and then cruise all the different auto parts shops until you can find somebody who is actually interested in looking it up for you. The non-genuine paper filter for mine I ended up finding at Veal Autoparts. It was some obscure brand that I'd never heard of before, so I stuck the sticker from the box onto the air box so I'd be able to find them again next time. But the uni filter is a lot less hassle IMHO, you just poor turps over it to clean it, let it dry, whack it in a plastic shopping bag with a tea spoon or two of the filter fix oil rub it in and whack it back in again, just in time for beer o'clock! ;-)
AnswerID: 102404

Reply By: Black Jack - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 19:32

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 19:32
Gronk,
I find Jackaroo World very helpful
http://jackworld.alphalink.com.au/index.htm
I have bought a heap of original and copy parts from them. I can have original parts delivered to my door usually 70% of the cost from a dealership. You send off an order form from the website, they respond with a price, you deposit the money in an account in your city/town and they deliver within a few days.

Cheers
Jack
AnswerID: 102407

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 21:01

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 21:01
unfortunately, electronic diesels dont like oiled filters, it stops the sensors from working and your on shank's pony....
Id be looking at the wreckers to see if a holden v8 filter from a dunnydore would fit it for that price....
Andrew
AnswerID: 102419

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 15:20

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 15:20
Dozer, mine is electronic, I actually had the entire air intake apart repairing a split hose on the weekend and there was no oil on any of the sensors... I have never actually seen first hand any evidence of these storys we keep hearing about oiled filters and EFI engines...

I still belive that the only way you could possibly even come close to causing any harm with oil on these filters is if you are a typical ozzy bloke and don't read the instructions on how to re-oil the filter and cover the thing in oil thinkin "she'll be right mate".

Two teaspoons is HEAPs of oil. It should not look all oily it should look almost look dry.

Just my 2c.
FollowupID: 360220

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 16:57

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 16:57
I agree with Jeff. I've had a finer filter on for the last 60000kms without a problem. Admittedly this is on a petrol V6 though, but it still has electronic sensors, etc.

The filter should appear nearly dry, but it should be sticky and just oily to touch.
FollowupID: 360229

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 18:26

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 18:26
I suppose if you know what has stopped things, its not hard to fix it on the side of a road...its only on the new electro diesels with temp sensor of incoming air....i think the 3 litre jack and 4.5 cruiser are like this.
I take your point, i am only passing on info....if you buy a oiled filter (if they make one) and you stop halfway through the sydney tunnel, you would feel a little silly wouldnt you!
Andrew
FollowupID: 360250

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 19:08

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 19:08
Really, you'll be fine running an oiled filter...

Here's a couple of pages out of the 1kz-te toyota handbook for the surf motor:

Air Temp Sensor

If it works in the ol' Surf the jack should be fine, the surf's a greay jap import so it had all the "modern" bell's and whistles 10 years before we even saw them in Oz.
Just check out the crap in the sensor diagnosic index! LOL
Oh well, as I've said in a previous post (and got laughed at) I always carry the multimeter and copy of the service manual in the tool box, like all you blokes should be doing with EFI engines...
FollowupID: 360258

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:25

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:25
Quoting Dozer ... "....if you buy a oiled filter (if they make one) and you stop halfway through the sydney tunnel, you would feel a little silly wouldnt you! "

Just make sure you're not in the North Sydney Council bit ... I hear parking charges are getting expensive ... ;-)
FollowupID: 360285

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:51

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:51
Yep - that is a complete and utter rip-off and should therefore be ridiculed at every opportunity. Ryco do an A1504 - not sure on price - I'm into Unifilter on my Jack, but I have the aforementioned "CHECK ENGINE light on permanently - a sensor has 'oiled up', but that light is my only problem - the engine is still running sweetly (TW).
AnswerID: 102482

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 13:06

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 13:06
Yep ... www.sydneyfilters.com.au ... name brand filters at excellent prices. Last price I saw for a 3.0TD air filter from them was $31.20.

Click here
for a thread on Jackaroo 3.0TD filters .

AnswerID: 102508

Sponsored Links