Parkes, Dubbo, Goobang, Goonoo - camping

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 23:25
ThreadID: 21227 Views:3400 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Explorozlies,

The Lyds's are planning on spending a few days in the upcoming School Holidays up around Parkes (the Dish) and Dubbo (the Zoo).

I see in my Camping Guide to NSW that Goobang NP and Goonoo SF have some campling areas, so was wondering if anyone can comment on them? or recommend somewhere else?

We're self sufficient and don't need much in the way of facilities.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 06:26

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 06:26
Hi lyds
We are doing a bit of a trip around mungo nat park for the first part of holidays.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 102470

Follow Up By: Lyds - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:00

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:00
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the offer (I guess that was an offer).

We hope to be breaking in a CamperTrailer for a few days of the first week, all depends on it turning up. We'd rather embarass ourselves in front of strangers than people we know :-)

FollowupID: 360266

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:33

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:33
It was an offer and don t worry about embarrising your self I have that down pat.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 360275

Reply By: Member - Leith H (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 20:16

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 20:16
Stuart

There are 2 camping areas in the Goobang NP. Both have pit toilets but my pick would have to be the one located in the northern section of the park. There is a couple of good tracks through the park with nothing too difficult and the veiw from the trig station is worth the drive. From memory it is free to camp in Goobang and there is plenty of firewood on the way into the park.

Leith
AnswerID: 102566

Follow Up By: Lyds - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:02

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:02
Thanks Leith. We'll check it out.
FollowupID: 360268

Reply By: bernie1 - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:06

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:06
Hi Stuart,
Can't comment on the NP's,but the zoo is great at Dubbo. Try going on the brekkie tour before it opens, you get to see the animals been feed and get to see behind the enclosers and have brekkie afterwards and stay the whole day. if you feel energetic hire the the push bikes. If time permits visit the old Dubbo Gaol in town. Just south of Dubbo are some cave tours can't remember the name. The dish at Parkes is very interesting especially the dishes out the front. Don't forget to call into the open cut gold mine at Peaks Hill.

cheers
Bernie
AnswerID: 102578

Follow Up By: banjobush - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:50

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:50
Stuart,

I used to work at the zoo a few years ago - you can drive around, ride your bike (or hire) or walk around, there are great picnic spots (take your own lunch if you like) i recommend you have lunch with the gibbons - about halfway round the zoo they are extremely entertaining and very loud you can hear them all around the zoo and you can also get a 2 day pass if you want. If you visit on school holidays or weekends they have keeper talks where the animal keepers talk about these animals and bring them up close for you to see. Best to get there early in the morning as the line up can be quite long during holidays. Old Dubbo Gaol is another fantastic place - the kids will love it, they have animated figures that tell stories of convicts who have spent time in the gaol. On the outskirts of Dubbo on Minore Road (minore rd turns off the hwy towards the zoo to the right from town)there is also a Boomerang park where they make boomerangs and give lessons on how to fly them. Have a great time
FollowupID: 360288

Sponsored Links