which type of van?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2125 Views:1919 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I with our two small children (5,3) are planning a trip through Vic to SA and then to WA. We have a VT Commodore and are tossing up whether to purchase a Camper or a Pop-Top. Our budget for the van is approx 18-20k and apart from finding a van which will accomodate bedding for both my wife and I and our Kids we are unsure whether the Camper or the Pop-Top is the right way to go, i.e. Towing, storage, fuel, ease of set up etc. We plan to be away for at least 3 mths. Any advice would be very much appreciated

First time traveller-Smed
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00
Smed try this fourmhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/
AnswerID: 7312

Follow Up By: Smed - Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Brian, I'll check it out
Smed
FollowupID: 3376

Reply By: Melissa - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Smed, Before you make a decision, what you really need to do is sit down and analyse your needs. The obvious stuff like beds etc is easy. I'm talking about the less obvious stuff. For instance, how often are you planning on moving between stopovers? If you'll regularly be stopping for 1 or 2 nights then moving on, you'll want something that is quick and easy to put up and pull down. Are you planning on roadside breaks for lunch and smoko's. If so, make sure you get something with easy access to the kitchen and your folding table and chairs. You don't want to have to virtually erect your camper or pop-top to get to everything. $18-20K budget will get you into a pretty good camper or van and also give you a broad range to choose from. But, once you decide exactly what your needs are, you'll be quickly able to eliminate those that don't meet your personal requirements. Once you narrow the field down, try before you buy. Many manufacturers will hire their product to potential purchases and this is really the best way to help make up your mind. Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Good luck. Melissa

AnswerID: 7315

Hi melissa,
Thanks for your advice, I went to Melbourne and saw a fantastic range of vans and ended up buying a near new Jayco 'Freedom' Pop-Top. I'm slowly realising that buying the van was the easy part, we've got so much to organise in the next few weeks my head is spinning. In any case I curtainly felt that the pop-top was the best option for us.
Thank again
Smed
FollowupID: 3373

Reply By: StephenF - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

A few years ago we upgraded from a camper to a pop-top. The camper was surprisingly large inside, easy to tow and store and easy on the fuel. The main disadvantage is that, after you stop for the day, you have to erect the thing before you can relax. On a hot day, after a long day on the road, I found it was a real killler (although it depends on the type of camper - ours was the hard-top Jayco type with pull-out ends).The pop-top is bigger and heavier but far more convenient. At a roadside stop you can have the kettle boiling in a few minutes, and there is far less setting-up to do at the end of the day. Your budget will get you a nice pop-top or a very nice camper, but the choice for you is basically between the convenience of a pop-top and the economy of a camper. Stephen.
AnswerID: 7321

G'day Stephen,
Thanks for your advice, I agree that convenience is an important consideration and as such we decided to buy a Pop-Top. Thats for the post. Regards Smed
FollowupID: 3374

Reply By: Macca - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Smed, Another forum that is real friendly and provides tons of advice on the particular subject you are chasing and all to do with van/poptop camper type matters and more-(same question as yours asked constantly - and answered) is the Caravaners forum. Just join up and ask away. If you read through the posts you might not even need ask.
http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/home.msnw
AnswerID: 7324

Hi Macca,
Thanks , I'II check out the forum.
Smed
FollowupID: 3375

Sponsored Links