A Current Affair tomorrow night - anti 4WD again

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:18
ThreadID: 21251 Views:2673 Replies:12 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just saw another bloody ad for that stupid current affairs program tomorrow night (Wednesday March 16th.

"Why 4WD's kill so many of our kids" is the theme.

The producers are really running out of things to talk about. Scruby will probably make an un-contested appearance again.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marin82 - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:33

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:33
more than likely high powered cars/inexperienced drivers kill more of our kids than 4WD's, but telling that again here is useless, cauz we all know it.

Ben
AnswerID: 102582

Reply By: Smudger - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:51

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:51
It makes me bloody angry.
Maybe you noticed the Sydney Morning Herald (Column 8) slam on 4WD's recently. It ran for a couple of weeks and they kept saying .."we've had more emails from Anti 4 Wheelers than from Pro 4 Wheelers." I've never bothered writing to the editor, but maybe we need to. 30 percent of new car owners for the last 2 years bought 4WD's. That's a bunch of opinion, but if we stay silent the law makers will hear the loudest voice and think it's the popular view ..and they'll do what they think they need to do to win votes. They're already talking about extra costs and licence requirements for 4WD owners. Pressure from the anti 4WD Greenies is having a contuniuing impact on restricting our access to bushland.

When you see an unfair, uneducated, unjustified attack on 4WD's, send the media concerned an educational email. If enough of us do react, they're bosses might tell 'em to pull thier heads in and stop upsetting a very big piece of their market.

Smudger
AnswerID: 102586

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:59

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:59
Its straight forward: The soccer mums that drive the 4wds cannot see behind them, and dont bother to use mirrors or check- Hell, thats why they got the 4WD- they shouldnt HAVE to look now! Theres gotta be some payoff for paying for extra petrol and higher servicing costs.
AnswerID: 102589

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:28

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:28
Geez ... remind me, was it a stolen 4WD that was at the centre of the Macquarie Fields riots during the last few weeks.

Well look at that ... it was just a Commodore. That must be ok then.
AnswerID: 102596

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:53

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:53
I just spent about half an hour on Nine's ACA website and sent them a lengthy email asking that they make sure their report is FACTUAL. I mentioned that there was a report in the past few months that a certain sedan (I can't remember which one) was actually the worst vehicle on the road for rear visibility. I also mentioned (just to be honest and fair) that I acknowledged there are possibly a number of people who own a 4x4 for all the wrong reason....but that is their business anyway.
I also mentioned that about 30% of all sales are 4x4s these days. And I mentioned the fact that there is a blurred line between what is and isn't a 4x4 these days anyway. (I mentioned Honda CRV, Holden Adventra, Porsche Cayenne etc).
I pointed out that I may have some cred on this subject cos of my presidency of my local 4x4 club and (although it has no relavence) that I am a banker of 34+ years standing (the inference being that I am not some trouble-maker.....so don't tell them otherwise; OK??????!!!!!!!!!).
Anyway, I'll have to tape the show tomorrow cos we're all going out for tea at Warren's (Aussie Chef) pub at Port Vincent, with Pesty and Glenda and Ken & Diedre (Member LUCY) who is visiting the YP from his usual haunt of Melbourne. Note that he wasn't game to bring the Jeepney all this way and decided to take his chances with the Troopy.
Cheers all
Roachie
AnswerID: 102600

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 01:12

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 01:12
Hey Roachie,

You had better drop in for a cuppa to our Art Exhibition on your way past on Saturday morning ....or else!!!!!! lol

From here there is a REAL shortcut to Nerrandera. CYA
FollowupID: 360298

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:55

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:55
'FACTUAL" stuff on Current Affair????? Now that would be a first.

Their mottos is "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 360301

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:56

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:56
Was it the NRMA test or something similar on rear vehicle vision?
Remember reading it was the latest coomdore that got 1/2 star out of 5 where as most 4wds got 1 to 3 stars.
Ford and holden utes make me wonder about rear vision too.
FollowupID: 360312

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:01

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:01
Good to see you comming down to Roachie
barb will be joinning you all if u can come down from Kadina & as pesty said he can make a 370 klm round trip .Then barb should be able to come down 498 yards & join you all hahahaha
Me i will drive to work thismorning & tonight hahahahaha
warren
Looking foward to see you all
gee i wonder what Glenda will have for dinner lol
FollowupID: 360314

Reply By: old-plodder - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:03

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:03
OK , found the following in the age newspaper.

---------------------------
"Australia's best-selling car, the Holden Commodore, has rated poorly for rear visibility in a world-first study released yesterday by NSW insurer NRMA.

Another surprise was the study's conclusion that four-wheel-drive vehicles were no worse than many other vehicles for rear visibility.

The study rated 86 vehicles on the ability of the driver to see a small child behind the vehicle.

Some 17 children have been killed by reversing cars in NSW over the past three-and-a-half years.

The study showed many modern vehicles were designed with obstacles to rear vision, including high rear windows and boots, rear-mounted spare tyres and rear head restraints.

But it concluded that 4WDs were no better or worse than other vehicles on the road. A reversing visibility index was devised to allow comparisons to be made between different vehicles.

Results were rated on a scale of zero to five, with five indicating the best vision.

No cars scored five, but small hatchbacks - the Renault Clio Sport, Holden's Barina and Suzuki Ignis - filled the top three spots with four.

Ford's Fairmont Ghia sedan (three, 20th) was the highest ranked locally built vehicle.

Holden's superseded VX Commodore sedan scored zero, placing it second-last. Its replacement, the VY Commodore sedan, scored 1.5 to rank 63rd."

-----------------------
I'm not an NRMA member so can't log in to see the report.
Can some one pull the relevant points and forward to ACA?

AnswerID: 102635

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:03

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:03
What I want to know, is that if all these little kiddies are being run over (and I am not for one second suggesting this isn't a tragic thing to have happen), but where the hell is the parental supervision? Why are kids of such a young age (where hazard perception is almost zero, being allowed to wander around without sufficient parental supervision.

There is always going to be one or two kids who are born houdinis and have a remarkable ability to escape, but surely some of the responsibility should fall back onto the parents and not the poor driver of the vehicle. However, that isn't to say that vehicle owners don't have a responsibility to check behind them before reversing.

People are too quick to shift the blame onto others rather than taking responsibility for their own actions or lack there of.
AnswerID: 102636

Reply By: bundyman - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:25

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:25
"Some 17 children killed in 3.5 years in NSW from being reversed over". I'd guess to say that well over 10 times that many kids have died in NSW over that time from accidental poisoning......does that mean that we ban all those responsible chemicals.....no. The chemicals didn't jump into the kids throats, it comes down to parental supervision, same as with kids being reversed over - the 4x4 (or any vehicle for that matter) didn't start itself and reverse over the kid. When are these "current affair" shows going to get real!!! The worst thing is people actually believe this one-sidedbleepe and then voice their own ill-informed view.

Cheers my 2cents worth,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 102638

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 16:29

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 16:29
All I can say is that even with the surf loaded up I've got better side, front AND rear visibility than my wifes BA Falcon Wagon. With the BA you can't even see where the hell you going at the best of times, they are an accident waiting to happen, and with those bleep ant little excuses for side mirrors they have they don't help either!

My mother in laws camrey sedan would not be able to see that little kid riding the trycial behind it, the boot's too bloody big and boofy!

It's just so full of crap, I was getting really worked up about it last night when I saw the preview and then I though, fk it I'm just not going to pay any attention to it, and I'm certainally not going to watch it. The most action I will take it to email them to let them know that I will not be watching their entire show or their channel in that fact for that night because of the lies and no factual information they are broadcasting and be done with it.
AnswerID: 102665

Follow Up By: Penguin (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 13:04

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 13:04
Hi Jeff
Not really 4WD but I couldn't agree more about the useless exterior mirrors on the BA. The near-side one's a bit better because it's convex but the driver's mirror might as well not be there!
FollowupID: 360442

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 16:37

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 16:37
I just wasted a few minutes of my life emailing them. It was a slightly emmotional email and there was no planning involved so it's a little crude and basic. But this is what I sent them:

You guys must be struggling with ratings to be bringing up the 4wd debate once again. Glad to see you have your facts so out of whack on the subject as per usual...

I'll let you know that I will not be watching channel nine at all tonight purley because I do not want to support a station that dribbles on with such nonsense. Many thousands of 4wd owners who are on 4wd internet forums all over the country will also be taking a moral stand tonight.
Congratulations, you've lost a viewer.

And just for the record it has been proven in many studies in the past that the majority of modern passenger cars have more blind spots and poorer rear visibility than the average 4wd. Do some research for once, oh maybe that would'nt rate as well....
AnswerID: 102667

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 23:31

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 23:31
Congratulations, you've lost a viewer.

As if they give a s h i t. By emailing them, you have just proved to them it was a ratings winner.
FollowupID: 360395

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 18:09

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 18:09
By informing them that I was not going to watch their show I'm sure that prooved without a doubt that it's a ratings winner...
FollowupID: 360471

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 18:45

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 18:45
That report should not have been advertised as 4WD-specific. They DID bring the NRMA report into it, and also highlighted that the VY Commodore has worse rear-vision than the worst 4WD - the Toyota Prado.

Not too bad really..... so much hype for such a silly story.

A doctor was saying that a 4WD is 2.5 times more likely to kill a child that has been reversed over. What????? If you back a Commodore up over a kid - they're dead too!
AnswerID: 102684

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 19:17

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 19:17
Oh! I forgot to mention it before but a kid is far more likely to survive going under a large lifted 4WD than a ground-hugging Commodore in most cases. I know a handful of big fourby's that you can almost walk under....
FollowupID: 360358

Reply By: Member - Landie - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 13:24

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 13:24
The NRMA guy was quite balanced, ensuring that he pointed out that the worse rear-vision vehicle was a Commodore.

I'm just waiting for the day that someone asks the television stations why they need a four-wheel drive to run around the city in.

Take a good look next time, 4-wd with sat dishes up on top.

I guess it goes to show, people have 4-wd drives for a variety of reasons........some to tow boats, some to carry sat dishes, many more to get out in the bush.

It will be a brave government that takes on the car industry lobby, especially in an era where four-wheel drives are extremely popular.
AnswerID: 102779

Sponsored Links