Alcohol/Permits

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 20:22
ThreadID: 21273 Views:2368 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Travelling to Cape York in july my questions are:
1 What permits are required & how much (I hope the funds go to worthy cause!)
2 Alcohol - We would like to crack a bottle of Champagne at the tip.
3 Is it a case of don't take it in - buy it there? (Reading postings slabXXXX $48)
4 Yes I agree Cape York Connections most people would not mind going without for 365 days! but it would be nice for us social drinkers to have a choice as well!!
Hoping for some constuctive advice
Cheers
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 20:42

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 20:42
Hi Mike

This may help you?

Limit per car is strictly = 1 carton mid -light beer and 2 ltrs wine (no fortified stuff like brandy, port, cruisers, coolers or spirits) past the Jardine, there is a nice big sign there to tell you that.
You can buy a carton and/or2 lts of wine everyday at the top providing you do not have any more than a carton or the 2 ltrs of wine in your posession.

Last year.........
We enjoyed ours all the way up to Elliot Falls and took in only the required amount. Bought a slab $48 at the canteen the day before we left to see us through to Cooktown and picked up some rum in Coen.

try here for more info........
http://www.liquor.qld.gov.au/Indigenous/default.asp

Enjoy the experience, it's very nice up there.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 102701

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:19

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:19
Thanks Tripp'n
Info taken on board
Cheers
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 360374

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:13

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:13
Mike, No permit as such to apply for on the main route to the top including side trips to Chilli beach, Captin Billy's landing, Wiepa & Vrilya Point. The fee for the Jardine ferry ride includes the Top end permit & is purchased when you get there. It was under $100 when I was last there with money going to the services for the cape community. Whether you think it's a worthy cause or not its still payable and in reality a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of preparing & getting a 4by to the tip.
If you intend to head out to an Aboriginal community like Arunkun then you will need to apply to the community. It's spelled out fairly clearly in Ron Moons Cape York bible I thought. Alcohol at these places is a definate no no & fines of $20,000+ are mentioned on the signs.
In general carrying grog is not an issue. You just need to appreciate what they are trying to achieve up there. They don't want tourists giving or selling grog to the locals as it's killing the communities. So having a quiet drink around camp is fine from what I've seen. They just don't want you taking a slab down to the pier when you go fishing. Someone may correct me here but I don't believe they have started searching cars for alcohol yet.
& yes you have a choice............if you don't like their rules & the $100 ferry ride don't go ;-))
Have a great trip to the tip, Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 102706

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:43

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:43
Thanks Craig
Your info is constuctive and to the point.
I didn't mean to sound like an alki but I have heard so many conflicting reports on the rules up there - I just want to enjoy it
Our group would not be interested in even taking slabs of beer to this area - however a glass of champagne or whatever at the tip sounded pretty good to us southeners.
Your comments about concerns to the local communities sound accuate from other reports I've had, we need to help/protect these communities where we can.
Anyhow I'm sure we'll have a great trip - thanks for the input.
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 360377

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 22:16

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 22:16
Mike

Make sure you take a good chilly bag for the champers ... it's a decent walk from the carpark.

Enjoy
FollowupID: 360380

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 22:49

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 22:49
Hi Mike

As Rosco said chilly bag is a must and in it don't forget the dip, crackers, cheese, salami etc and do it just before sunset.........a real magic moment.
Take a torch as the jungle walk on the way back can be a bit dark for littlies, just watch out ahead for any snakes.
If going back to Punsan Bay good luck we have never stayed there, Loyality Beach about 1 and a half hours(top place), Seisa about 1 and three quarter hours.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)

FollowupID: 360385

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 06:38

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 06:38
yes they have done spot checks and I feel this year they do even more.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 360403

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 06:43

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 06:43
Mike in 2 weeks time I want to drive every where at about 150 ks per hour then may be drive on the wrong side of the road then only take female mud crabs then
have aparty with misic going all night.
But I cant realy do all that because its the law.

All the best
Eric

PS there are many other places around that you cant have drink at all.

AnswerID: 102747

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 10:28

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 10:28
All true but were do we stop I thought up quite a few other laws/restrictions we could have but deleted them as I'm sure some might take offense. Usually do when it effects them specifically. I've also been to many aboriginal communities and facts are it never was the tourists (not this decade anyway) that were bring in booze to sell etc. So let me ask those that think this will be the saviour, if your deal was to sell booze to the locals (usually locals themselves) do you really think this law will make them stop?? Laws are only there for those that think they should be abided by.

Not saying they are right or wrong, just need to put it into perspective. Laws are only there for the minority plain and simple. Most laws should be in place but some have no chance of success. Havn't been to the cape in a couple of years so if there are the differences you state then great. Only drama is, I've been to many communities with limited booze or no booze laws and, for the bulk of people that still want to get off there face................they still do! It stops only those that want to or simply can't get out to get it and that's black or white.
FollowupID: 360426

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 06:57

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 06:57
You can buy beer and wine over the jardine at bamaga and umajico and one other spot.
But only what the laws allow.
If you can drink a slab of 24 mid strenght and 2 bottles of wine per car per day you can restock that arfternoon between 4 and 8 at the above mentioned.

If you see the communitys now that mum and dads and grandmas and grandads etc arnt smashed all day and night. The kids are going to school and are getting proper meals at least once a day. The communitys are even cleaner and tidier.
The bashings in the familys are even less.

I feel if the law gets abused they could even make it a booze free area like many other communitys around OZ and in the cape.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 102748

Follow Up By: stevo1965 - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 16:22

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 16:22
I went to the cape about 6years ago had no problems with the locals drinking ect it must have got a lot worse.
And what u said about banning AC all together still wouldnt work they would make there own buy it on line ect they would get it belive me its so easy theses days getany thing u wont theses days on the net
P.s do they have the net up there yet i would think probly yes
dont no just asking
cia steve
FollowupID: 360456

Reply By: Ralph2 - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 19:16

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 19:16
We are lucky petrol sniffing is'nt a problem up there, they might ban petrol from the cape,A lot of alcohol free communities Ive seen you can tell your getting close to them by the number of discarded wine cartons along the track. One Country- One Law for ALL. About time they took responsibility for there own actions.
AnswerID: 102818

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 19:38

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 19:38
they have

all the best
eric
FollowupID: 360479

Sponsored Links