Border ranges national park

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:32
ThreadID: 21280 Views:3199 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
We are doing a trip up near kyogle etc. and would like to know if anyone has info on the Western Border ranges N/P with regard to 4WDing with a bit of excitement. thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:50

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:50
Ian, go in the wet...then its exciting :)) A top destination (no pun intended).
AnswerID: 102715

Reply By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 23:23

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 23:23
Hi Ian,

I grew up on those tracks. As Footloose has said, they can be fun in the wet but if it's dry I don't think you will be able to find anything where you will need to engage 4WD.

Well worth the drive though, it is worth the effort to climb out to the end of the Pinnacle (if you are still allowed to). Great views of Mount Warning and the coastline down to Byron Bay.

Nice rainforest in spots, I think the creek was called Lynches Ck was good for a swim/paddle in the heat.

If it is raining and it is 4WDing that you are after. Try a run through Mebbin State Forest near Uki. When we were young hooligans about 10 of us got caught in that forest in torrential rain. I think it took 4 hours to get 10 4WD's about 4km out of the forest. One rolled on to roof. Used to take motorbikes and try to get up "widowmakers" hill. I can still show you the scars.

Ah. they are the memories, barefoot, in the mud and the rain, having a laugh with your mates while you physically man handle the trucks through the mountains. Seem to remember a little mud wrestling too with a stunner of a girlfriend but I won't go any further on that topic.

It is a very pretty part of the country through there. My in-laws are all in Kyogle so I still go through regularly. The are some nice dirt roads through from Uki to Mullumbimby but be warned, if you end up down the wrong tracks, some people get quite protective about some plants that they appear to be tending to in the rainforest. I have had machette's and guns pointed at me a few times in that area. It does take the fun away though.

Waffled on long enough now. Give me a yell if you have any more questions about the area and I will tell you what I know.

Regards,
Brett
AnswerID: 102736

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:55

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:55
We used to Rally through Mebbin when it was a State Forest, its actually a Nat Park now I think.

Its been a while , and no doubt there ARE 4wd tracks around , but given the nature of the area and being around Nimbin , I doubt they are widely publicised.

Its more of a touring area then a 4wd destination.
FollowupID: 360419

Reply By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 10:30

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 10:30
Hi Ian,
There is a 4wd Camp situated 15 mins west of Murwillumbah in Upper Crystal Crk. They have numerous tracks from easy to hard and has camp sites and even showers and toilets.
If you would like more info just give me a holler.

Cheers
AnswerID: 102764

Sponsored Links