Hilux Clutch Problems

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:02
ThreadID: 21288 Views:2331 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All,
Have a strange noise in my 83 Hilux,whenever i shift down a gear i hear a noise almost like grinding or something similair,if i let the car slow itself down there is no problem and the noise doesnt occur but as soon as i shift down a gear and let the clutch out this noise is there. The clutch fluid is low as i have just notice and i am about to top it up but i am curious as to why it is using so much fluid......
Any ideas on what the problem could be because i am not very mechanically minded and it has got me a bit stumped!
thanks very much
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nebster - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:37

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:37
Hi

The best course of action is to have a reputable mechanic or someone you trust that has a good mechanical knowledge to have a look at it and if possible give you a quote.

Some information that can help in these forums are:
How many klms the gearbox has on it, if the clutch has ever been changed.

Some things that can be considered with the info you have supplied are

It maybe a throwout bearing which pushes again the pressure plate of your clutch system when you engage the clutch.

It might be a front bearing in the gearbox especially if it has some age about it.

You will be using fluid if either youre clutch master cylinder or clutch slave cylinder are leaking or maybe the fluid line has a split in it.

Some times its hard to see a leak in them because the dust covers retain the fluid or as in the case of the master cylinder it can leak where its bolted to the fire wall and go down inside the cab under your front floor mat. ;)

Hope some of this is a help

Cheers

AnswerID: 102775

Follow Up By: Pembo - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 13:18

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 13:18
Gday Nebster,
Thanks for your reply mate,looks like it is the front gearbox bearing that is gone,so i am gunna be up for a few dollars to get her fixed.
thanks again mate
rob
FollowupID: 360448

Sponsored Links