Waeco fridges

Submitted: Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 06:16
ThreadID: 21310 Views:4942 Replies:14 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
G'day to all.

I must confess to NOT being impressed with Waeco fridges.
Over the last three years we have NEVER had a trip without the Waeco fridge causing problems.
I was in Outback Queensland this summer and watched Waeco adds on television calling other fridges Dinosaurs. What a joke, at least the old fridges worked.

Has anyone ever sucessfully used a Waeco fridge in outback Qld in the summer months? The daily ambient temps were 45 max and 34 min and that must just be too hot for a Waeco. Constant "error mode" and of course spoiled food and hot water once again.

Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 07:13

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 07:13
I'll buy it off you!!!

Where do I send the money?

I surpose because you think it's crappy and useless, you'll let it go real cheap?

Seeing as you are a fair bloke and all...

iMusty

AnswerID: 102862

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 07:16

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 07:16
Here we go again............
AnswerID: 102863

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 07:21

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 07:21
Rotflmao
FollowupID: 360509

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 08:24

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 08:24
Well Jeff I hate to tell you this but I was at the Eulo Pub the other side of Cunnamulla this year enjoying a few coldies for a " few" hours in that extreme heat. I have a CCF 45 & it was full of food with the vehicle locked, as there were firearms on board. I must admit that I checked it a couple of times, mainly because I had only one battery, but the fridge compressor just kept on going, the food inside was OK & the frozen stuff was still frozen when I reached my destination. Mine has the slide temp control which doesn't seem to be so tempremental as the electronic ones. That is if you have the electronic type. You must have a brummy. I also must add that the fridge bounced around in the scrub for 9 days keeping the beer cold at all times, in fact at one time the slide control moved & froze the beer. Bugger.
AnswerID: 102868

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 15:44

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 15:44
Jeff,
I do not work for WAECO, but I live about 10 minutes drive from them should you need any help.
FollowupID: 360560

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:14

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:14
Hi Jeff
Ist - What was the error code that you were getting. If only one flash at time low voltage.
2nd- Are you still using the cigarette lighter plug that came with it, if so that is the main cause of problems with fridges, replace it.
3rd- Have you checked the size of the wiring from the battery to the fridge.
4th- Are you allowing for ventalation as the fridge needs to get rid of the heat from around the condensor or else it will not work.

Had problems with the fridge, fixed all of the above, now on the setting that used to stuggle to get down to 4c now goes to -1.5c.

If all of the above are working properly time to get the fridge people to check that it is not low on gas

Ray
AnswerID: 102879

Follow Up By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:23

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:23
"Had problems with the fridge, fixed all of the above, now on the setting that used to stuggle to get down to 4c now goes to -1.5c."

Why should you have to change/amend/fix all of the above for the fridge to work properly.... my opinion.. something is going wrong with Waeco's design team.

yes.. i own an Engel.. he he he...
FollowupID: 360530

Follow Up By: Utemad - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:47

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:47
Mozza,

I think you'll find that crap plugs, inadequate vehicle wiring and inadequate ventilation wil be detrimental to the cooling capacity of any fridge.

Except for the plug those problems have nothing to do with the fridge as such. However the Waeco come with one of those Hella style plugs and I have not had an issue with it.
FollowupID: 360538

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:59

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:59
Hi Mozza.
The stupid cigarette lighter plug is fitted to both the waeco and engel so that the go into our vehicles without have to have extra wiring. (While in Broome last year getting the caravan fridge fixed, another story, the repair place was doing a roaring business of replacing the cigarette light plugs and sockets on both brands of fridges when the owners came in complaining the fridge did not work in the heat, problem solved)

The other problem of the wiring was the Auto elec not taking notice of the wire size that was needed for the lenght of run, replaced at his expense. This causes the voltage drop of over 1 volt on run which meant the fridge did not work properly.

Ventilation is needed for both the engel(which I own) and the weaco to work harder than necessary. My engel has fan fitted as it was before they came out that way standard to improve the air flow.
Regards Ray
AnswerID: 102891

Reply By: floyd - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:13

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:13
Done a lot of outback travel with both Waeco and Engel running together. Had problems initially with both. Wiring thickness and lengths of runs were the biggest issue. Make sure that you get the correct error flash sorted and it will be an easy fix. Plugs on both brands are $hit and need hard wiring or better plugs from power source. My Waeco had 2 warped lids but were both replaced no questions asked and even express posted to me next day delivery. Waecos back up service and technitions are excellent and will spend ages listening and sorting out problems. Give them a call at head office in Queensland. They even lend a replacement fridge while repairs done.

I have never been near the beach with my Engel and guess what. The steel on the outside is rusting. ??????

Dont winge to us just call the company and they will set you straight.
AnswerID: 102892

Follow Up By: Jeff - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:10

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:10
G'day Floyd,

Not winging to you, just asking a question.
I wonder how long before your third lid wharps. Is it different in any way to the first two?
Have your lid stops also broken?
But I'll take your advise and call Waeco in Qld and see what they have to say.
I suspect a few waeco staff have already replied as above.

FollowupID: 360542

Follow Up By: Jeff - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:15

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:15
G'day Floyd,

Not winging to you, just asking a question.
I wonder how long before your third lid wharps. Is it different in any way to the first two?
Have your lid stops also broken?
But I'll take your advise and call Waeco in Qld and see what they have to say.
I suspect a few waeco staff have already replied as above.

And yes, a metal fridge will eventually rust.
Better than a shiny plastic one that breaks the first time you open the lid on a warm day to mention but a few problems.

I'm afraid if you believe Waeco to be the best fridge on the market we must agree to disagree. Sure they are the cheapest but in this case you only get what you pay for.............

FollowupID: 360544

Follow Up By: floyd - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:26

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:26
Thanks for the question. My third lid has lasted for almost 2 years and is still sealing properly. It is made of an entirely different material and is actually about 4 times the weight of the original one. It seems to fit quite snugly. I have no idea what you mean by fridge stops. There is nothing else broken so I suspect that the fridge stops are working fine.

I am neither a Waeco staff member or anyone affiliated with the company. Just a mere mortal consumer who has experienced really good old fashioned warranty service from a company. I wish that all businesses backed up their products as well as Waeco.

As to the best fridge on the market. I would not know. I have only had experience with 2 brands. I neither claim that one is better than another one in my response to your post just that I have had great back up service from one product that actually does what it is supposed to do. Without rusting.
FollowupID: 360546

Follow Up By: Skinny- Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 15:45

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 15:45
Waeco 60 ltr same problems ...wiring when under load and clip on lid broken. Don't want to waste half a day driving to lidcombe to have replaced for free. Just close the cover to hold it shut at this stage. Slack when the problem is common. Control panel was faulty when new replaced by a fool who almost made it worse.

winge winge

Skinny
FollowupID: 360561

Follow Up By: floyd - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 16:37

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 16:37
They are well aware of the lid problems. As I said above just ring them. They will send you a new one. You will not have to go anywhere.They will not even ask how it broke.

When I spoke to them they said that 99% of fridge problems are caused by poor instalation ie. bad connections, poor cable thickness and dodgy plugs. They have aknowleged poor lid design and have fixed it. Just call them and they will send you a new lid.

And stop whinging. There is a forum for whinging called WWW.truckster.com
FollowupID: 360562

Reply By: floyd - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:14

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:14
Done a lot of outback travel with both Waeco and Engel running together. Had problems initially with both. Wiring thickness and lengths of runs were the biggest issue. Make sure that you get the correct error flash sorted and it will be an easy fix. Plugs on both brands are $hit and need hard wiring or better plugs from power source. My Waeco had 2 warped lids but were both replaced no questions asked and even express posted to me next day delivery. Waecos back up service and technitions are excellent and will spend ages listening and sorting out problems. Give them a call at head office in Queensland. They even lend a replacement fridge while repairs done.

I have never been near the beach with my Engel and guess what. The steel on the outside is rusting. ??????

Dont whinge to us just call the company and they will set you straight.
AnswerID: 102893

Reply By: jackablue - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:17

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:17
My boss & I bought our fridges at the same time, his waeco mine engel. They both seem to work fine except for some error s coming up on the waeco. Just on the actual build quality, the waeco inside of the fridge is very badly scratched, lid latch has broken, lid comes of continually & the insulated bag has ripped all around the velcro tabs. The only prob I have had with the engel has been the lid sliding off the pins, which I fixed with a cable tie around one. My engel gets used alot more than my bosses waeco & I have kids also.

So far the comparo is looking good for me.
AnswerID: 102894

Follow Up By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:21

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:21
jacka.. i contacted engel (after reading a post on here a couple of months ago) re: the lid coming off the hinges.. definately get into contact with them.. .. they'll send you two little clips to stop the lid sliding off..> free of charge! .. and a present >>> ...i got an engel stubby holder... AND an engel hat!!!!
FollowupID: 360545

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:30

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:30
I've been diddled! I got the free clips but no stubby holder and hat.
FollowupID: 360547

Follow Up By: jackablue - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:37

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:37
I have read about the clips since but haven't bothered, but now there could be some other mechandise to be offered.hhhmmmm
FollowupID: 360551

Follow Up By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:40

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:40
lucky me it seems!.. and i tell ya.. i've given the stubby holder a workout the last couple of weekends and it's doing a fine job!
FollowupID: 360553

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 15:10

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 15:10
Never had a problem with the lid sliding off the pins..... because the top flap of the transit bag (velcro'd to the lid) holds them in place as you open the lid :)
FollowupID: 360557

Reply By: Howard T - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:41

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:41
Jeff
I have a CF50 and have had mine in temps that high in Cent and Western Qld without problem for weeks.
I have had mine for over 3 years and have had 3 problems

-yes the lid warped got a newie no problems
-allowed my dual battery to drain too low. - my fault
-got the old flashing light trick and traced it to dirty terminals on the fridge cleaned them and still going strong. Doesnt take much to halt 12 volt current. Doesnt take too much to dirty the terminals.
Check your wiring.

Howard
AnswerID: 102921

Reply By: Moggs - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 16:54

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 16:54
Another good Waeco story here :) - as Jimbo has said before - Christ people - it is only a fridge! - can't understand why people get so worked up.

FWIW I was one of the first customers to receive a new CF50 and also had the lid warp - a new one was couriered and arrived the next day after a phone call - much more solid and never a problem since. Plastic tabs that hold the lid in - no signs of wear or breakage.

Fridge has worked flawlessly for years.

The insulated bag has had the velcro tabs rip the silver lining on the sides - this is my fault as I was too lazy to unjhook them prior to lifting the flaps - no biggy anyway!

I would definitely buy Waeco again - based on service and price.
AnswerID: 102932

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 21:31

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 21:31
Yeah, Moggs has it right,

They just keep things cold. I had an Engel for 6 years, and 6 months ago I bought a Waeco. Surprise, surprise, both of them have kept things cold.

At this point I would say Waeco is better value (and better design), but ask me in another 5 years if I reckon it is a good as the Engel; looking good so far and based on the opinions of people I trust it should be OK.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 360606

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:30

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:30
Well it's just a fridge, well you can label anything the same way. It's just a generator, it's just battery, it's just a solar panel, it's just a vehicle. The fact is we rely on these things in the bush in different ways and when it's bloody hot I'm very gratefull it is just a fridge and not a door stop.
FollowupID: 360617

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 17:13

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 17:13
Yes Yes Yes.
But Jeff

Where do I send my money?

iMusty
AnswerID: 102937

Reply By: Member - Ray - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 20:41

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 20:41
Sorry to all the Engel and Waeco owners who have had problems. I have a "Cole" made in WA now called "Coolmen"
8yrs and never misssed a beat Steep point to Tas and everywhere in between
AnswerID: 102984

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 01:53

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 01:53
I will upset a few people here, but having never had a warped lid, I have had problems with my waeco shutting off in hot weather. In the end it came down to two things.

Firstly, the switch on the side was on high. This is a battery protection safety system, and any voltage drop will trip it out. So I switched it to low, now it goes all day and all night, no worries.

Secondly, I went right through the wiring from the battery to the fridge and found 2 dodgy connections and a very loose earth right at the back of the car.

Well no wonder the bloody thing wasn't working properly !!

And none of this was the fridges fault.
AnswerID: 103033

Reply By: brett - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 11:46

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 11:46
Never had a lid problem either with my CF50, never had any problems actually, apart from it stopping when the battery voltage hit's 10.5V which is a better idea than taking the battery down to 0V. HAd it in the back of the car last weekend and fridge temp was -2 and inside the car was 58, so Nth Qld temps wouldn't be a problem. I think you'll find as far as compressors go the Danfoss is more powerfull than the engel swing motor and is capable of pulling temperatures down quicker at the expense of a higher current draw. Build wise I think the engle is probably a little tougher in the case department, but mine sits in the back of the car tied down and is fine.
AnswerID: 103064

Sponsored Links