Mereenie Loop

Submitted: Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:07
ThreadID: 21338 Views:1979 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Planing a 4 month trip from July this year and trying to establish if Larapinta Drive (Mereenie Loop) from Kings Canyon to Hermannsburg is suitable for a normal on road tandem pop top caravan. We will be in the area Mid to late July and I have heard that this is good gravel road well maintained.
Is a Desert Pass needed when venturing to areas such as Chambers Pillar, Rainbow Valley etc?

Any advice much appreciated.

Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:15

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:15
The Mereenie Loop has at times been a bad news, while smooth throughout at other times. All depends on weather, traffic and grading factors. You'd need to enquire locally just prior to including this section into your tour. You need a Pass for the Loop (Aboriginal Lands) - its cheap - available here and there.
Not been to the Pillar and RV - others to comment on that (though Desert Parks Pass is an SA only product).
AnswerID: 102994

Reply By: John - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:38

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:38
I visited Pillar 6 weeks ago and road in is definately not suitable for convention caravan. Likewise Chambers pillar.
SA desert park pass not necessary in NT.
Would recomend leaving your van at Macdonald range CP in Alice and make day/overnight trips to attractions - Don't miss Desert park and Transport museum in Alice.
Cheers
John WA
AnswerID: 103021

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 09:56

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 09:56
Did I read, somewhere, like in a mag..... that they are going to Black Top this road? Must be popular, to warrant the expense.

Won't happen by July, so, just pretend you didn't see the above text.......

...... I ........ don't ........ see ........ any ......... text .........

WHOA!!! I'm awake now! Where have I been?

Oh, yeah..... Mereenie loop........ dirt road.......

Happy time travels.....

Wolfie
AnswerID: 103056

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 15:02

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 15:02
goodday
you need a pass for the loop (about $5.00) but you pay camping fees in an honesty box at the pillar
road conditions we looked at it once travelled about 300 m turned around and went the long way but if you are lucky it may have been just graded
depends on how many operators have gone thru there before you

steve
AnswerID: 103078

Reply By: equinox-Kings Canyon - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 19:16

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 19:16
Mike,

Currently you would have no problems as the road has just been graded, though I wouldn't go too hard on the throttle.

Two weeks ago I did the loop in my Toyota Corolla at night - had no dramas except for one blowout.

Check with the cops at Hermannsburg or the resort at Kings Canyon prior to your trip for the latest conditions.

Cheers

Equinox
AnswerID: 103111

Reply By: 28patrol - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 23:23

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 23:23
Did this trip last July with a camper. You should be fine on the Loop if you take it steady, there were only a couple of corrugated sections. You can get a pass from the visitors centre in Alice. Chambers Pillar is a full day drive and, although there were some campers at the campground, I would not take our camper in. There is a fairly steep jump up on the way in and there is a sign at the gate recommending a sand flag for the dunes and also to call ahead on the CB to warn outbound traffice that you are coming with the reverse at the other end. Did not go to Rainbow Valley.

Lone Wolf: There was an indication that the Loop would be blacktop by the end of 2007
AnswerID: 103129

Reply By: Mike S (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 22:12

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 22:12
Hi All,

Many thanks to Banjo, John, Wolfie, Steve, Equinox and 28 Patrol.
Looks like we need to check with the locals at the time we are there as is probably the case most of the time due to changing conditions, traffic etc.
Plan is pretty flexible and we can take the time to cover the area with and/or without the van.

Thanks again.

Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 103219

Reply By: Davoe - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:00

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:00
road is fine as in wide enough with no tough section but it can be horrifically corragated
AnswerID: 103396

Sponsored Links