Water tank problems with Bushtracker caravan

Submitted: Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:28
ThreadID: 21344 Views:11686 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Any special tips with respect to filling / venting water tanks in Bushtracker caravan as we've experienced lengthy delays with filling and inaccurate estimations of quantity in tanks? We believed tanks to be full when in fact they were nothing of the sort. Any comments welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: motherhen - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:45

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:45
The previous owner of our BT changed the filling system to a set of four hoses on the one hose fitting (each with an indivudual little tap) on the a-frame. Just put a hose on the snap on fitting (we have like he had; a food grade hose with filter), and turn the tap on for each tank until it overflows. Takes a few minutes, but they are certainly full, and the process is easy. Are you on the Bushtracker owners group website? You may get more ideas if you ask this qquestion there.
AnswerID: 103023

Reply By: Member - Alex & Penny V (WA) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:59

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:59
Dear Motherhen
Many thanks for prompt reply. Don't understand how water filling can be mounted on A frame? No, we've not contacted BT's owners group - do you have Web link because we would be very interested. Yours, Penny
AnswerID: 103026

Reply By: motherhen - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 00:35

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 00:35
http://www.bushtrackerownersgroup.asn.au/Forum/Default.asp

Worth joining, although only a small group of regular correspondents. I see several of them on Exloroz as well as on the caravanners forum -

http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/messageboard.msnw

I didn't crawl under the caravan or i would know how the previous owner fitted these hoses into the tanks. I let my husband do the crawling around. I had got confused about which tank was what - he followed which hoses went into which tank, and where they all came out again. Ours is a 1998 BT.

Pleased to find yet another BT in WA. If you are in the SW you are welcome to come and see ours - not on the road at present, but having had a 4 week holiday in January, we are doing all the things to get it to suit our needs.
AnswerID: 103029

Reply By: Member - Alex & Penny V (WA) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 07:57

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 07:57
Dear Motherhen

You think you're confused. We purchased this van 6 months ago and have only just taken our inaugural trip as the "shakedown cruise" - thereby finding out these problems. Big tricky when your power fails and you can't access what water you do have. I'll get onto that BT site and see what prevails, but hopefully we can work out a quicker system than that existing - seems interminable when filling. We are in Perth - just sold the house and about to launch into grey nomad zone before settling in Vic. Would have bought a smaller version than the 20' preferably, but this one came here at the right time and circumvented the very lengthy purchase process. Yours, Penny
AnswerID: 103038

Follow Up By: motherhen - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 13:16

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 13:16
We are in Bridgetown so if you are heading south, do arrange to call in & see us (room on the farm to camp too). Our power system faded out on a dull day week before last for the first time - after several subtle suggestions to my far more electronically minded that try charging the batteries before panicking, my suggestion worked. Email me direct on motherhen@westnet.com.au.
FollowupID: 360668

Reply By: Grumblebum and Dragon (WA) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 15:38

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 15:38
Hi Alex and Penny,

Welcome to the Bushtracker Brigade.

I suggest you join the Bushtracker Ownerers Group as Motherhen suggested. There is both a public and a Private Forum as well as heaps of other info and lots of photos of various mods owners have done to customise their rigs. It does'nt cost much to join as a member - more info available than just visiting as a 'lurker'

I cannot help you with the filling problem as we only collect our van from the factory in May - but it sounds as is you have a venting problem somewhere. I have not seen any discussion re tank filling problems on the forums.

The factory contacts are on the Bushtracker Website www.Bushtracker.com or email them at sales@bushtracker.com - this is not the same site as the 'Boggers Forum' (Bushtrackers Owners Group) site. Explain the problem as fully as popssible.

Cheers

John and Jean (Kununurra WA)
AnswerID: 103083

Reply By: Bob - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 17:29

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 17:29
Should be a simple fix.
First, check the breather pipes on the tanks, the little pigtail ones.
They sometimes get blocked by mud wasp nests.
Second. Make a filler hose. About 1 metre of 1/2" clear plastic hose with a fitting to connect to your water hose. Put a shut off valve in the system if you like, means that you can control water flow at the fill point. The 1/2" plastic irrigation valves are ideal.
Poke the smaller more flexible clear hose down the filler as far as it will go.
Park the van so that the front is slightly elevated above level. If pointed downhill air locks form more easily.
Fill tanks slowly.
Partly filled tanks on BT's are normally caused by air locks in the fill tubes.
The above system usually overcomes those problems.

Hope to see you on the BOG forum.

Bob
AnswerID: 103093

Reply By: Member - Alex & Penny V (WA) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 19:48

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 19:48
Thanks heaps Bob - very useful information which we will endeavour to put into action. Have joined BOG today - all now fully fledge.

Cheers, Penny
AnswerID: 103114

Sponsored Links