The never ending story..Tyres

Submitted: Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:50
ThreadID: 21345 Views:2894 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Evening one and all...
After a bit of advice on which tyre to buy for a GQ patrol .
Starting to get down a bit on tyre tread and dont know weather to go for a set of real cheapies or go with BFG's or Coopers etc. Want to go allterain so I can get away with just one set but a bit concerned that some may not have very good grip on a wet blacktop as this is where I do most driving.. Have been told that some have a higher ply rating and should aviod the ones with less ply's... any suggestions.
Another option is to get hold of a second hand set of tyres and rims to use off road and save a few dollars then put a good road tyre on the other rims for around town. If anyone in the Canberra region wants to sell a set to clean out the garage drop me a mail.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated and I'll give ya a cold one if your down at Bendithra the weekend after Easter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 00:07

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 00:07
Never go with cheapbleeptires, it aint worth it. You want the best of both worlds, grip offroad, onroad, wet, dry, and last 30300330gigaklms???

Running 2 sets of wheels is the BEST option, but not always practical and some people get the chits with changin all the time. Doesnt bother me only takes 20 mins.

I like my Simex's offroad and my MTR's on road on my GQ.... both work well for their design.

AnswerID: 103027

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 08:45

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 08:45
Truckster

What's the deal with having MTRs for on road? Aren't they an off road tyre (at the top end of the off road tyres you can safely drive on bitumen)? Would have thought if you have 2 sets of tyres then one would me at the the most agressive an ATR? Not judgemental, just curious as to your reasoning. I am also thinging about MTRS for the Jack but worried about on road performance (breaking/handling/wet) and tyre noise.

D-Jack
FollowupID: 360648

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 22:21

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 22:21
They are quite fine on the road.. Have no issues, although they do need balancing reguarly..
FollowupID: 360926

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:28

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:28
sort of dont agree you pay heaps for your coopers and bfs but you still only get a couple of plys here and there. I have wrecked 4 brand new tryers in 2 years and am seriosly considering changing to rags - cheaper and 10x tougher
FollowupID: 360938

Follow Up By: bundyman - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:08

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:08
Davoe,

Whats your opinion on rags? I can buy some new 14ply rags with with a good offroad tread pattern in 750x16 for the cruiser for $120, with a good warranty from the local tyre bloke in town. However I was a bit concerned about the handling, I know they're nothing like a radial but would it make much difference to a 75 series? I live in western NSW so town driving doesn't affect me. Have you had much experience with rags?

Cheers,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 361082

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 01:20

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 01:20
Don't buy cheap crap. Only rich men can afford to do that.

Don't buy second hand. Why are they second hand ? Where have they been ? Is the guy selling them the guy who had them on his car ?

only if you want them for rock crawling or mud bashing, then go for it.
But for "on road", never !!

I can't speak for coopers, but I have had a few sets of BFG AT's and would get them again, no sweat. I know people who swear by desert deulers, and thats fine by me if they are happy, but myself and my brother and a few good mates have tried cheaper tyres and generally have not been happy.

(if you use desert duelers and you like them, please don't abuse me, i've heard it all before. Sorry ! )

If you go HARD CORE when you go offroad, then you may need 2 sets. If, like the rest of us, you spend 80% of the time driving to work and shopping etc; and then go off road for camping and fishing etc; one set of quality tyres will last you a long time.
AnswerID: 103032

Reply By: Big Woody - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 08:49

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 08:49
Go for the BFG's mate. Good all round tyre, excellent value for money.

Brett
AnswerID: 103044

Reply By: Member - Bruce B (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 10:53

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 10:53
I have got a set of Coopers- STs. They balance no trouble on a set of Sunnies, don't track at all. I've had them up through the Vic High County & Stockton beach worked well in both those locations ( was wet at times in the H/C). Also they have a 80,000km guarentee on the tread.Am planning to do the CSR in August will give a further update.
AnswerID: 103060

Reply By: Pezza - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 20:59

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 20:59
Personaly Boo, I would go for...........wait for it..........THE ARCHIVES! and if I cuoldn't make a decision after spending ALL night reading all the info on tyres in there I would probably shoot myself to put myself out of my misery!

Good luck and happy reading
Pezza
AnswerID: 103119

Reply By: peter4331 - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 22:20

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 22:20
Tyres what to buy for my GQ?, just went through that exercise,desert duellers, wranglers,coopers.
In the end brought Goodyear Wranglers ATR, got them for a bargain price from Beaurepaires $145.00 ea fitted,sometimes you can have a win.
Had Dunlop AT's before no complaints.
Best of luck with your decision.
regards
Peter
AnswerID: 103121

Follow Up By: jackablue - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 08:42

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 08:42
Went past the tyre shop the other day as I will be looking for some later in the year for some outback touring. Noticed some ATRs that had come off a 4by and notice right where the side wall & tread meet is very thin. I could press it quiet easily with my pinkie. The tread & sidewall close to the rim is decent but where the two meet had me concerned.

FollowupID: 360728

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 00:01

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 00:01
After being bitterly disappointed with both the wear rate & durability of Cooper Sts, I have vowed that I will never pay that sort of money for tyres again.
At the moment I am trying Firestone MTRs, got to say that to date, I am very impressed, but as with the Coopers, only time will tell.

I read above that someone is hoping for 80,000 out of the STs .... GOOD LUCK!
AnswerID: 103132

Reply By: Boo - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 00:18

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 00:18
Thanks for ALL the feedback from one and all...
I realise this subject has been wipped to death but after trying to sort through the archives prior to posting it, I figured you could still be scratchin ya gonads three days later and still have no firm idea.

Thanks fellers.
AnswerID: 103133

Sponsored Links