Heart transplant lol

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 15:26
ThreadID: 21352 Views:1914 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well boys and girls , just got home from stripping down the 80 . Piston 5 and 6 were not the best lol , but all else looks good. Looking forward to all the new bits and pieces that arrive Tuesday.

Fault ..... When i had the head done last year , they fitted the cam gear back to front and this retarded the crank timing by 1/2 a tooth. ( not happy jan )

But I think that when I got it hot last year and did the head gasket , would have also contributed .

I was never happy with the vehicles performance and idle ever since I got it back , I know know why lol.

Also i get to fix another issue at the same time . MY OVERHEATING LOL . I had flushed the block for hours on end and was shocked to see how much scale was still in the block . I would pro cleen the radiator and flush every year and after i removed the welsh plugs to day , I was able to remove heaps of scale .

Anyway the beast got me home , so happy with that . At least i go to the Simpson this year with a new engine.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 16:16

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 16:16
Goos to hear mate, staying with a Toyota donk? Would have thought HSV 5.7 might be ringing in your ears.

Hope your wheel breaking mate made it home too. Better truck than luckster, he did an extra day in BGO.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 103087

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 16:37

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 16:37
"Better truck than luckster" - have you been drinking some of Willie's rocket fuel?
FollowupID: 360682

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 16:59

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 16:59
Got me home nice and safe , happy with that . was due for a rebuild , so even happier. Going to be some lucky bugger when I sell her at the end of the year lol
FollowupID: 360684

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:51

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:51
Best it is done by the time you cross the Simpson mate, you don't want the recovery from there. I know you are very particular in regard to your engine and 80 so I know it will be done right this time.

Just goes to show that no particular car is infallible despite what Johhno may have said. It is good you do the maintenance to boost the reliability.
AnswerID: 103151

Reply By: Bros - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 15:56

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 15:56
Eric,
Not really anything to do with what you are doing, but seeing you mention scale in the motor jogged my memory. Years ago my youngest son bought an EA falcon ex taxi and was always having trouble with overheating. I took it to the local radiator place and he gave a knowing nod and proceeded to remove a large coffee cup (approx) of casting sand that had been in there from new. No more overheating problems. I wonder if this sort of occurrence exists with all vehicles with new motors.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 103161

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:05

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:05
Bros, it depends on the block washing facility in each particular plant. Ford
relied on a old block wash that wasn't the best for many years but recently invested heavily on new plant from France which leaves the blocks squeaky clean.
FollowupID: 360762

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 23:13

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 23:13
seen sand in blocks many times from all car manufacturers , nit so common now days
FollowupID: 360827

Sponsored Links