Third Battery Instalation in Camper

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 17:13
ThreadID: 21356 Views:2295 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I now have a Goldstream Camper and would like to fit a battery to it. I am installing a 240/12 volts charger in the van but I am wondering about the charging of the battery from the car when running. I have a GU NIssan with a duel battery setup. The van is wired to 12 volt to the car through trailer plug but at this stage is not fitted with its own battery. Would anyone out there be interested in corressponding directly about this subject.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: drivesafe - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 17:33

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 17:33
Hi Algee, for a start you will need to run heavier cable than your standard trailer plug can handle and there is a lot more to it than that.
Go to my web site and e-mail me from there.
You don’t have to buy anything, I’m only to happy to give you an idea of what you will need and you can take it from there.

traxide.com.au

Cheers
AnswerID: 103097

Reply By: Ray Bates - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:28

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:28
Dear Algee,
I have a simular setup for my Jayco c'van and I have used 4aswg to charge the battery in the caravan. You will also need a 175amp Anderson plug to take the cable. Although the cable is not truly auto cable it is very flexable and oxygen free. I am also using an eighty amp soliniod switch in the car.
I can give you more details of the cable if you wish. On start up I am charging a DCB which is mounted on the drawbar of the c'van at 30amps. This drops down as the battery charges
AnswerID: 103147

Reply By: duncs - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 21:46

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 21:46
Algee,

I have a battery on my camper which is charged from the car via a heavy cable and a 11 pin flat plug. (Carries the standard 7 pins for the trailer plus 4 extra heavier pins for other accessories). It has been working fine for about 4 years now.

What the others are offering above will probably work even better. That would be good. But whatever you put in don't rely on it to bring the c'van battery back up when it has sat doing nothing for 6 months. Before you go on a trip plug the battery charger in for a week or so of trickle before you set off. That way the cars alternator only has to top it up.

Duncs
AnswerID: 103216

Sponsored Links