terracan diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 21:04
ThreadID: 21385 Views:2543 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
thinking about buying terracan diesel have read all the commennts about susp. up grades and tyres. but has any body actually done any serious off roading with one ie.the canning , cape york , any of the len beadell ? roads i have read all the hype that hyundai have put out but have not read anything the average aussie has done.
would appreciate any comment.
regards
al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troppo - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 23:12

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 23:12
Hello also considering purchasing the new TD Terracan, but have a few reservations regarding resale value, and build quality. I'd forget about Hyundai product hype, apart from the specs, and listen instead to several owners that use this forum.
Having said that, I don't think you will find too many people denigrating their $40,000 plus purchase.
Have done the Cape York and Gibb River treks towing a camper trailer, using a Japanese product, and know how hard they are on vehicles.( broken 2nd battery mounts, punctures etc)
I'm sure the new TD owners will keep us informed as the year moves on.
Cheers Martin (NT).
AnswerID: 103235

Follow Up By: al - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:32

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:32
goodday martin

have done cape york, some of len beadell bomb roads tanami and a few others in gq patrol but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.
thats why i'm looking at the terracan have taken it for a test drive ,the diesel performs well on the black top it seems good value for the money
but i'm bit worried about it's off road capabillities. i would like a new patrol but out of my price range at the moment.

regards

al
FollowupID: 360962

Reply By: Peter Ja - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:02

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:02
Al,

I too was sceptical before I purchased my Terracan. The decision was easy when I seen what this vehicle would do and where it would go. Before I bought mine I seen a guy put a brand new Terracan Diesel with the modified suspension on it where no other vehicle in our group would go. I have to add he also ripped the exhaust system off the vehicle when doing it. I have the Diesel and now have just over 20,000ks on the clock. Today I got the Trek 'n' Tow suspension fitted and now I would go as far as saying this is one awsome vehicle. I have done the complete Birdsville track in mine as well as spending some time around the harsh tracks of Coober Pedy. I know that one of the guys from Hyundai has taken one down the Striezlecki track and his words were "I drove it like I stole it".

I must say the suspension has made a huge difference from the short time I have driven this. I will be able to report on the off road ability with the suspension as we are going to the Vic High country over easter.

Do not worry to much about the resale value of the Terracan as I lost in just over 2 years the entire cost of the Terracan on my previous Japanese 4x4. The way I look at it is that if I get nothing for it in 2 years I am still better off than I was.

I am a true convert.

Pete.
AnswerID: 103656

Follow Up By: thepilot - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 23:16

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 23:16
Hi Pete

Haveing just bought the Diesel jerry 5 days ago and love it . how have you found it off road ? I will be doing a weekend trip in 2 weeks . I still have the stock set up but I have put on a set of BF's A/T they should give me a bit more grip :-) Let me know how you went in the High Country

Dave
thepilot@bigpond.net.au
FollowupID: 362587

Reply By: Peter Ja - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:02

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:02
Dave,

The vehicle impressed all the other people in the group. The only issue I had was the ground clearance over the contours, however I have found if you aproach these from an angle there is no problems. You have to bear in mind all the other vehicles in the group had a minimum of 2 inch lift kits.

I am getting another set of tyres as the standard ones do not offer the grip I would like. The best part I liked was filling her up, $45 compared to the closest other vehicle $68 for the same distance travelled.

I would never go back to another brand, now all I have to do is wait patiently for more accessories to become available.

As you know this is one awsome vehicle.

Pete.
AnswerID: 105840

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:24

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:24
Al,

For a guide to ground clearance. Mine has TJM suspension and with this on a recent trip it was going over washouts without scraping the belly in places where a Standard 100 series Toyota GXL was scraping (this is not designed as a statement of its ability versus the 100 series, that would be ridiculous, it's just for reference).

The lift has made a significant difference. On that trip I would have scraoed the belly 20 or 30 times with the standard suspension.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 105847

Sponsored Links