Dimantina Lakes

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 22:05
ThreadID: 21389 Views:1988 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Got the school hols in July for a short trip. Was wondering if anyone knows anything about or has been to the Dimantina Lakes. What to see? What to do? What else is in the area?

I am based in Broken Hill and will have about 12 days. Thought we might go up via Innamincka and Birdsville come back via Hungerford. What do you all think?

Looking forward to what we can all learn. Thanks in advance.

Duncs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Bathurst) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 22:34

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 22:34
Duncs,

Doing something similar in August except we're going through Hungerford to Currawinya NP (for 2 days) then across to Coongie Lakes (for 3 days), up to Boulia and down to Diamantina Lakes (for 3 days). Our rough itinerary, at this stage, allows 15 days for this section of our trip. Will be away about 6 weeks all up.

We've got a lot of info from the 4wd magazines (yeah they do come in handy for some things). They have all done articles on Diamantina Lakes at one stage or another. Qld NP's will send you some info as well as what's on their website.
Westprints Diamantina Lakes map will pretty well cover most of the area your going over and would be worth getting.

Bush camping at its best so they say. Looking forward to getting there.

Regards,
John.
AnswerID: 103227

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 22:53

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 22:53
Duncs,

5,000 sq. kms of best cattle fattening country in western Qld, if not Australia! Plenty to see, about 8 different eco systems, so they say. Camp at Hunters Gorge, fish, tour around to Lake Constance, Scott's Tank or up to the Mayne Pub. Good views of Hunters Gorge, from Janet's Leap(on east side of gorge). Paintings in some of the caves there too.

Plenty of water in the Diamantina at moment, and the channels look good, plenty of green growth there also. Graveyard behind the Ranger Station is worth a visit, some old graves there. The Ranger Stn may, or may not be occupied, as NPWS, in their wisdom, have reduced staffing to a "Drive in-Drive out" type operation.

Also travel up to Old Cork, 130 kms, to old sandstone house, and Old Cork waterhole(over 4 mile long). While up there you can travel on to Lark Quarry, to see the dinosaur stampede. From there you could always travel on to Jundah, then Windorah etc.

When travelling up from B'ville, you can either go via Boulia, or cut across from Bedourie, via Cluny, Coorabulka and Springvale. Another choice is to travel to Betoota, then turn up on Mooraberrie road, then on through Palparrarra, and Davenport. The route through Boulia might be the best, as you would arrive at 'Lakes with most amount of fuel(Unless you drive a Patrol 4800!)

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 103232

Follow Up By: kesh - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:06

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:06
Bob Y. Intend visiting the park ourselves this year. My access thought is up to Jundah, then in through Connemara. Several years ago met the Con. managers, From memory Max and Cheryl?? But they did say that retirement was not that far away so by now they may have their feet up on the coast!
So wondering do you have any thought on the track in through that way?Will have a 13ft. poptop behind a 75 trayback. Plenty of fuel, tucker etc.
ps. "we get stuck, we get out, break down we fix (usually!!)"
FollowupID: 360838

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:37

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:37
Kesh,

Yes, you're right, Max has retired, I believe(Lucky bugger??!!). Don't know of any road through Connemara to 'Lakes, except through Kurran. Haven't been on it, but it would be pretty ordinary with pop-top! Might be better to come up to Lark Quarry, and across onto the River Road, at Old Cork. But the 75 series won't have any trouble!!!

There is a road through Mt Windsor(private), but by mid year it will be wall to wall bulldust, comes out on River Rd. about 55 km north of 'Lakes.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 360894

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:59

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:59
Well, with Bob Y. as the Tourism Officer I don't have to say anything. Only that Diamantina Lakes is one of our very favourite places (and not just becuase of the fishing) - I could spend a month up there easily. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do, Duncs.
AnswerID: 103323

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:32

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:32
duncs,

We camped there July 03. It is a great area and we really liked it when we arrived, but left early due to the masses of flies. Perhaps someone could comment if it is usual or we were unlucky. Further south at Birdsville and on the Cooper they were no problem.

If you go you need to carry firewood in, and you wil lprobably need to get it a long way before you enter.
Ian
AnswerID: 103425

Sponsored Links