Trip close to home

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:11
ThreadID: 21396 Views:1871 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Just bought a cruiser and have rigged it out to the max my brother and I wish to have some fun but don't know whre to start or go. Any one out there got an idea where we can go to get into some trouble/fun, thanks. We live SE suburbs of Melbourne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:29

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:29
Fun takes a bit of planning .... but trouble is real easy to get into. I suggest you join a 4WD club, so trouble does'nt take you by suprise when least expected.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 103275

Reply By: Mike Harding - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:45

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:45
There are dozens of places. But what do you want to do? Do you want to go and camp in an isolated spot for a week and fish / hunt / read? Do you want to do a six day trip through the High Country? Do you want to do a six day trip through the deserts of NE Vic/NSW? Do you want to see how deep a river you can ford or how deep mud you can drive through before you get stuck? Do you have GPS? Maps? Compass? Comms gear? Recovery gear? Know how to use them all?

Let us know some answers to the above and we may be able to help more.

Mike Harding

PS. Unbogging a big heavy 4WD is not _my_ idea of fun.
AnswerID: 103281

Follow Up By: Zubraman - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:47

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:47
You are right, we have two vehicles both with wiches and CB's. To begin with just a one dayer. Thanks for your help
FollowupID: 360868

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:29

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:29
Buy a few Rooftop maps of the areas around Noojee and do some exploring there. There's not much in the way of water crossings but there are some pretty steep and rocky tracks. You sound as if you have not been off road before so a few points to watch:

Ensure you have a UHF CB - there are enough people in that area you should be able to raise someone if you get into real trouble.

KEEP YOUR OFFROAD SPEED DOWN. Do things _slowly_ - the object is just to get there not to get there quickly.

If in _ANY_ doubt about which gear to use go for low 1 or 2. Trying to change gear going up a 1:3 is not a good idea.

NEVER think twice about turning back – a 4WD is not a “go anywhere machine” and if you try something too hard for you or the vehicle you _WILL_ break it and possibly yourself too.

Any kind of winching operation is dangerous. If you don't have experience of it, a dark forest track is not a good place to learn.

It is quite possible to get well lost in that area. I would suggest a base model Garmin GPS (about $200 I think?) would be money well spent.

Ensure you have a good first aid kit.

I'm not big on clubs (but that's just me) but it might be a good idea to look at one. Alternatively there use to be a Yahoo group called "4WD out of Melbourne" or similar which was a loose group of guys who organised one day trips - maybe you could tag along with them?

Have fun – let us know how you go.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 360875

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:40

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:40
G'day,

sounds like you're all revved up so if you have not driven a 4by before, especially off road; I know it does not answer your question but perhaps to have more fun than trouble you should invest in some training. Confidence, ability and a responsible 4by driver in the eyes of the public.
AnswerID: 103297

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 18:09

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 18:09
Lots of nice tracks out at Gembrook Forest. I spent a very muddy day out there once with some Exploroz mates.
AnswerID: 103336

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 18:32

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 18:32
gembrook /bunyip state forest although some tracks are due for winter closure
stop at the rangers staion in gembrook and pick up a map

steve
AnswerID: 103338

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 21:05

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 21:05
We are going to Gembrook on Friday for a day trip , taking out a first timer to show him the ropes
AnswerID: 103363

Sponsored Links