Mark is back - Flinders Ranges completed (sort of)

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:54
ThreadID: 21397 Views:2403 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings,

Marko is back from his trip to the Flinders Ranges. Supposed to be up there for two weeks but it was very hot and very dry - which we expected to some extent. Mrs. Marko didn't cope with the heat too well however which is a worry. I think the next few trips will have to be along the Southern coast of Oz, perhaps a beach run. Of course runs into the Victorian/NSW alps will continue as per normal. We only made it as high as Blinman then across to Parachilna where I got a Kangaroo Gyros! Beautiful countryside and it's easy to see why it is such a popular spot.

So we lasted one week there then headed down to Port Germein for a night. Across to McClaren Vale for a few days and Barossa for a few more to fill in the trip. I don't think Mrs.Marko will be up for another desert type trip again. Running water is a must for Mrs. Marko. However her grumpiness during the trip can now be put down to the fact that she was carrying Marko Junior! Junior would have been about 4-6 weeks old. So that explains her discomfort, ocassional throwing up along with being very hot when it was only hot. Junior is a bit of a suprise but a nice one indeed. Off to the doc tonight to start finding out what in the world we do from here (panic!!).

So whenever people posted about kiddies and the like Marko always ignored such posts... not any more. How in the world do you fit all your stuff along with a junior? Don't answer that one yet...

Oh I was also prepared to do many things of a mechanical nature to the 80series - none of which needed doing. Not one flat tyre, broken belt, blown hose - nothing. Excellent! Thank you for all your input.

Marko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:07

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:07
Congrats on the new addition. Too bad about the heat. Try taking Mrs Marko again in the winter , it's a whole different world.
Vince
AnswerID: 103285

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:13

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:13
Do a search Marko, there's bound to be a thread about fitting baby capsules into an 80 series. Congratulations.
AnswerID: 103289

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 18:05

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 18:05
There I was waiting for you Marko. But you never showed up. Too bad. Maybe next time. lol

And Yes as we all advised, it is a tad hot in the Flinders at this time of the year. From May to November is the best time. It is beaut place then and there is more to see.
AnswerID: 103335

Follow Up By: Marko - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:59

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:59
I knew what the car looked like but alas i missed it... i did panic a day before when you posted and told me to take a genie and fan... (i dont have a genie and haven't needed one thus far in my camping life)

still a beautiful area... the nights were not too hot at least.. .and from what i can gather the week we were there was actually quite nice.. there was a 37 coming up on thursday (we headed for the beach on wednesday pre-empting the heat)

I think we'll be back but it'll be a few years at the very least :)

Marko
FollowupID: 360955

Reply By: old-plodder - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 18:45

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 18:45
Good news.
Now life really begins. We had a similar trip to nth qld 22 years ago. Got home to find No. 1 son on the way.
We are at the other end now and the kids don't want to travel with us any more :-(.
First trip we did after No. 2 was born was to central qld and -3deg with a 6 month old was an experience.
You have brought back some found memories. Thanks.

And yes, the gear does all fit. You have to learn to pack a little better :-).
AnswerID: 103342

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 21:55

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 21:55
Marko

Congrats mate to you & Mrs Marko.............Your greatest journy is about to begin!

Browny
AnswerID: 103374

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:47

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:47
Flinders, summer, pregnant....no wonder she didn't travel well ! I did a summer desert trip once with wife, 2 kids (10 and 5) and no aircon or fridge. Never again, it became a survival exercise. We had stacks of water and an esky but didnt count on drinking warm water...Pushed some cattle sheltering under trees out so we could get some shade...until the flies found us. About half way I turned back, after a discovering a leaky tyre. Couple of days later I sat in the gutter in Broken Hill drinking two milk shakes and stuffed from the trip. Booked into the first motel with a pool...only to find out they had emptied it for maintainance.
We look back now and laugh but it was an extremely stupid trip to attempt.
My only consolation was that we now had some tiny idea of the early explorers conditions :))
AnswerID: 103412

Follow Up By: Marko - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:56

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:56
What a trip! At least my beers were ice cold! I took a slab of Boags but knocked them off after 6 days (which for me is real quick). Only think was Mrs Marko didn't feel like drinking so i had to lug around a slab of girlie drinks the whole time... it now makes sense why she didn't feel like drinking, our strong plunger coffee or my famous Bacon and egg McMarko McMuffin.....

Anyway no trips till junior is about 6 months old i guess... but for certain it will be near water!

Thanks for your input Footloose...what in the world made me go in summer... although right now i dont think it was that bad... but i just went and read part of my 'flinders diary' and noticed from my comments i was a bit grumpier than normal... but i still enjoyed it!! Also enjoyed the beaces at McClaren vale however :)

Marko
FollowupID: 360953

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:15

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:15
It doesn't have to be a remote trip to get into strife. Same vehicle coming back from Perth with kids younger. February heat. Dust storms so we couldnt even open the windows. Stopping at every whistlestop to re fluid. Finally got home only to endure a week of days and nights around 30C. Perth at Xmas ? No thanks :))

But we survived. Both my grown up kids would go anywhere at the drop of a hat (as long as dad pays for it). BUT the wife now prefers 5 star hotels on o/s trips (which she pays for). I now travel by myself a lot of the time.

Having small children just means you don't go as far or as fast. They dehydrate much more quickly than adults. They get bored very quickly. But they will remember the good times and thank you later. A whole new world is opening up for you.

The meaning of life according to footloose ;

"Kids stuff a woman's body and a blokes car"

:)))
FollowupID: 360957

Sponsored Links