Hilux Suspension

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:11
ThreadID: 21399 Views:5234 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2002 hilux 2.7P dual cab ute. I have fitted 31 10.5" R15 Coopers tyres on 7 " rims but apart from this it is stock. Im interested in making the suspension a bit softer for round town as currently it bounces alot when empty and makes passengers a bit seasick. Have any other hilux owners made changes for this reason and were they effective?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: db courier - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:46

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:46
hi BBails,
I recently sold my 2000 2wd hilux same as yours, torsion bar front end, same thing stiff as a board. You can wind some tension off the torsion bars, which will soften the front end but will also lower the front. If you are going to do it, wind exactly the same amount off either side then take for a wheel alignment and tell them what you have done. With the rear you would have to either change the springs or get them reset. You need to talk to your trusty spring joint about resetting them first though because most suspension places don't do it you need to go to an actual spring manufacturer not pedders etc.
best of luck.
AnswerID: 103299

Reply By: floyd - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 15:37

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 15:37
I have the duel cab in a diesel and have had the same problem. I put the 31 x 10.5 r15 tyres on and it made a bit of difference. I talked to spring experts and suspension people and it is difficult as all of the upgrade kits available were to improve load carrying capacity. I went for the Old Man Emu set up with springs and nitrocharger shockers. Torsion bars had to be wound up to give a little more lift so as the new tyres would not rub on hard steering and off road. Unfortunately this did not help ride quality much. The basic problem is that the Hilux is set up as a commercial vehicle for carrying loads. My solution was to always keep the fuel tank fairly full (115 litres made a good difference) and to keep a couple of heavy things in the back like timber or sand bag.

There may be a better way to rejig the suspension but I never found it 3 years ago when I was looking.
AnswerID: 103307

Reply By: timber - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:35

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:35
A simple start is to try dropping your tyre presures. Keep an eye on the wear, but I have found that this is the easiest/cheapest way to deal with the harsh ride of my empty dual cab ute.

Cheers

Buggerlux
AnswerID: 103406

Sponsored Links