Cameron Canvas Campers

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 14:14
ThreadID: 21402 Views:6175 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with camper trailersbuilt by Cameron Canvas in SA? I'm looking at a 2nd hand unit, aboout 10 years old & am not sure what it is worth. It has no kitchen but a full annexe & the canvas look alright. Does anyone has any idea what sort of money it would go for?
Any advice would be helpful.
Cheers
Matty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Squizzy - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:23

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:23
Matty,

You didn't mention what type of trailer and the size.

Cameron make 3 types of trailer, conventional (for the hard top), medium off road and heavy duty off road.

They also have a couple of sizes in the canvas, The Super camper and standard.

I purchased a heavy duty off road super camper with a half annexe nearly 8 years ago now and paid $8500.

So it depends on the size and trailer construction, but hopefully this helps you.

I have been very happy with the performance behind the car, and also with the reliabilty off road. It has done some considerably rough tracks over many km's since new.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 103315

Reply By: JamieMac - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:44

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:44
I purchased a 5 year old heavy duty Cameron Canvas Camperlast year. The trailer was in excellent nick (at first I thought it must have been repainted but it was not) and the canvas may as well have been new. The whole lot had been garaged its whole life, when unused at least.

It had the Super top (bigger tent area), 7' Annex and 7' Awning, Water Tank and hand pump, extra windows and drawbar toolbox (smaller than the current one on the website). It does not have the kitchen box (but that was no big issue for me) nor brakes which I wish now it did have. The brake hubs are impossible to get for the 50mm axle and the 2 tonne bearing set it has.

We are very happy with its design and performance. When coming back from Perth we set up camp very late one night and it bucketed down. In the morning there was a trickle of water on the floor from one side. We were a bit annoyed with our new purchase at first but after all it had been very heavy rain. I then stepped outside and into the 3" lake of waterand mud we were now camped in! The main reason for the water ingress was our laziness in not pegging the bottom flap down, this had acted as a gutter catching all the rain as it went down the tent and in hindsight we were actually impressed there was not more water inside under the conditions.

What did we pay? $7500, the guy wanted $9500 but everything is negotiable when you can pay right now and have a handfull of cash.

cheers
JamieMac
AnswerID: 103407

Sponsored Links