tyres and batterys

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:09
ThreadID: 21415 Views:1908 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
yep the big 2 is it any wonder they get so much airtime when for a disposeable item they cost so much.
Got home from my 2 weeks on and tried to start my camper no dice the 170 dollar battery was so dead not even the kill switch worked so I hit the overide switch to activate 2nd 150dollar battery some power but still no go. So I jump in the 80 to check out some breakaways west of callion I had been to for work and managed to rip the sidewall out of a 220 dollar tyre damn give me rag tyres anyday. sometimes I miss working 2 jobs with no time to blow money 4wding .............NOT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:17

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:17
Sounds like your batteries weren't charging for some reason. Using the aircon a lot, lights ? I've done this a few times, and am considering a voltmeter on both batteries. Batteries are very misunderstood critters. Starting sucks the life out of em and it takes a while for them to recover. Short trips don't help.
Tyres? I've always said that the most expensive tyres are just a pile of junk if you're unlucky. Better to have some decent el cheapos or a LT tyre if you're swanning around. The big aggressive expensive ones look great and work well until......
I bought some Kellys 2 years ago for an economy price. I thought if they lasted 20Km off the tar then so be it. They are still on the vehicle and going strong after 70000K. Would I buy them again ? You bet. Thats not to say that there aren't better tyres, but thats my experience.
AnswerID: 103410

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:23

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:23
As I mentioned in another post, this is one of the dangers in having two batteries connected together in either an uncontrolled parallel configuration, or "controlled" with a simple (cheap) isolator.

In this method of connection nothing exists to identify that the primary battery is flat, or damaged and the second battery will take over until that too is flat or damaged. Just imagine the possible result if you were in a remote area.

Any good quality isolator (no brands mentioned) should have the "smarts" included in its circuitry to stop this from occuring.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 103414

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:32

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:32
G'day Davoe
Bad luck mate. I haven't had the 2 dead batteries drama but I certainly know what it's like to wreck 2 new tyres in one trip. Ouch.
Which rag tyres do you recommend?

Sand Man - I only use a "cheap" heavy duty solenoid as an isolator, however I have added in a switch so that it is off until after I start the vehicle. That way the aux battery is saved for what it's intended for. Being a deep cycle I've found that if I use it in the starting process most of it's power is robbed and it runs the fridge and lights for a much shorter time before going "flat". And it simply doesn't charge back up properly from the vehicle.
AnswerID: 103432

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:12

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:12
chronic lack of use is probably the big problem I have hardly driven it in 3 months but I suspect it was on the way out as it was getting sluggish.as for rags dunlop dr2 tyres are the tyre of choice for those regulary driving cross country where radials dont last 2 min
FollowupID: 360981

Sponsored Links