4WD Parking Bans

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:08
ThreadID: 21421 Views:1884 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Look at the number of hits on the threads about 4WD parking bans posted yesterday. There are plenty of us concerned about the anti 4WD campaign that's been going on, ask the Katoomba Coles manager. He's been driven to distraction by calls and emails. Unfortunately, it turns out he's not the bloke responsible in this instance, but he works for the Company that's evidently planning to lower the hieght restrictions in the Katoomba K-Mart carpark, effectively barring 4WD's from using the undercover parking. I'm sure he'll pass our goodwill on to the boss.

Thing is, we can winge all we like on this forum about Anti 4WD campaigners. But here we're preaching to the converted. This site is an excellent rallying point from which to direct our collective opinions to the Ant-Fourby lobby. Keep us informed and obviously we will respond, an email takes seconds to write and send. But, if we don't speak out in numbers, they'll continue to think they can run over the top of us.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:27

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:27
Emails to pollies are also effective. Email your local member and see where they stand on these issues. Email the political party you vote for and ask them the same question. Make the results public . Most people are frightened of losing their jobs and they are no different. How about a "I own a 4wd and I vote" type sticker?
Email your state 4wd organization and ask what they are doing. Join a club.
There are lots of pro active things that can be done, it just needs people to think about it and do it.
AnswerID: 103411

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:56

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:56
Try and get the facts too.

Kmart customer service number is 1800 634 251.

I have rung coles Head Office and are awaiting a reply.

It might be a good time to put together an organized 4x4 group whose sole aim is to fight this campaign.

And I don't mean just really peeved off people either. I mean organized, professional type, in the know, motivated individuals, who have the nessesary skill and desire along with (know how) to make a difference.

Maybe CEO's or Lawers??? I don't know???

Maybe it can start with a get together?

Is there already something up and running that we don't know about here?

iMusty.

AnswerID: 103413

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:58

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:58
Perhaps the Anzac Day clean up is a good way to get the media on side?

Banners, placards, a spokesman?

Let's get going .

iMusty

FollowupID: 360954

Follow Up By: Smudger - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:48

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:48
Maybe you can get an action group up here, go for it. Personally, I'm in a couple of 4WD Clubs and I encourage and support their PR efforts. There is a 4WD Association which answers some of the negative publicity, but they don't seem to be active full time. Best trick is to join a club and encourage / help them to get active on these issues.

But don't foorget to use your own voice. One letter from a Group, no matter how many people it represents, is still only one letter. But, when a few hundred individuals write, that's weight of numbers.

Someone emaile me calling this all huff and puff. The anti 4WD campaign won't just go away unless we send it away. It is a real campaign being fed by a few individuals with a very real agenda. They won't get 4WD's banned from the roads, but they've just rescently brought about new legislation on Roobars. They're causing forrests and National Parks tracks to be closed to 4WD's. They're making it harder for 4WD'ers to enjoy our chosen lifestyles. And while they've got the numbers in the press and in the pollies mail bags, they will get the ear of the media and the law makers..
FollowupID: 360965

Follow Up By: Member - Landie - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:27

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:27
Hi Smudger

I did use the words huff and puff and personally I think that is the case in this instance. I certainly don’t want to see our rights diminished by minority groups. However, you can’t expect to win every battle, in fact it is often a waste of time and energy to even try and do so.

As a group (four-wheel drivers) we need to have our facts correct also before rushing off into action. For instance, there has not been any new legislation on roo bars. The legislation has been in place for sometime and there are indications that the police may become more active in enforcing it – that doesn’t mean we can’t have them either, it just means they need to be to a standard, nothing wrong with that.

I would like to see the four-wheel drive association take a more front foot approach to tackling the broad issues (and I don’t see the Coles car park issue in that league). I have seen effective campaigns were associations representing large groups of members can be very effective in ensuring that our law-makers are kept informed of interest groups, such as four-wheel driving.

The motor vehicle industry, with its billion dollar investment in car manufacturing plants, has far more clout then any of us could muster in here. Talk with them and tell them you won’t buy a four-wheel drive because of the negative press they get. These guys have tooled up large factories, at great expense, to pump out four-wheel drives, whether or not they find there way into the bush, or the local supermarket is irrelevant – they are still four-wheel drives. They don’t want to see their investment go down the drain because of minority groups influencing government policy on four-wheel drives. The motor vehicle industry, with its large workforce, is probably the strongest lobby group in the country. Politicians would not be game to introduce policy affecting them without at least consulting with them first.

On another note, last Saturday I witnessed an irresponsible four-wheel driver, and his mates driving along Silverwater Road Sydney, ducking and weaving through the traffic, causing a menace to all on the road. His passengers were yahooing out the window as this happened. Whilst it has no influence on what Coles is doing with their car-park, this single act, witnessed by many, just reinforced the arguments of our detractors – no wonder we find it so hard to convince the non-four wheel driving public that we are responsible!
FollowupID: 360974

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:21

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:21
Spoke to the Coles manager last night (Ilive in the Blue Mountains) The poor guy is pulling his hair out. Rang the Coles Customer service line yeaterday 1800 061 052. They were well aware of the problem but blamed K Mart. Wait a min, I'm a Coles Myers shareholder, arn't you the same co. Well yes but !!!!
Also rang the K Mart No 1800 634 251 and was told to P--- off as that was the way it was and I could take my business anywhere I wanted. The B---h I spoke to said there was plenty of parking other than the undercover, and to use that. There is VERY limited OTHER parking.
I rang the Coles Myer Ltd office in Melbourne 03 9829 3111, dont let them put onto the K Mart line again, and complained about the Attatude of there phone staff.
My next port of call ids the local council.
In the DA for the site it will state the number of parking spaces required, and with 25 % of new cars being 4WD, 25% of the parking should be available to them and NOT to small cars.

Just my 2 cents worth
Vince
AnswerID: 103423

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:29

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:29
Geez you fellas get excited about nothing!!! Who cares whether one can park under cover or not. Is it so vitally important?
AnswerID: 103424

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:01

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:01
It is the principle..........Get away with one thing then they think they can do more and more to try and restrict 4WD. Next you'll get petrol stations trying to stop us getting in, or some other rubbish.

It started with North Sydney Council placing heavier parking fees on 4WD and this is the follow-on.....

So be apathetic...........I agree with some of the comments and suggested strategies.....Get some good PR, etc and make them take notice.

I used to live in Darwin. If a supermarket or shopping centre tried this sort of stunt they may have well have closed their doors as well given the number of Fourbies in the NT. But they know what side their toast is buttered.

How much more of this 4WD bashing is going to take place?

Someone needs to spread the word on how much of the economy is dependant on 4WD and the whole RV market.

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast
FollowupID: 360977

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:41

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:41
It's not a case of parking undercover. The uncovered spaces that will be the only ones we can use are VERY VERY limited in number. These are also the parking spaces at the front entrance to the complex, so are the first to fill.
I don't have a problem where I park, But if I am forces to park a few blocks away I will shop elsewhere. We live on top of a mountain not the flats aroun Peterborough. For those who have been to Katoomba will know that it is not possiable to push a loaded shopping trolly up Katoomba St.
FollowupID: 360982

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:40

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:40
Ahhh we four wheel drivers are so precious.

What probably transpired is that a 4x4 went in to the carpark with somthing on the roofrack and tore out some piping or electrical stuff.

Then the newspaper mentioned 4x4's and now you lot are all hot under the collar.

There must be lots of places to shop nearby.

Yeah Vince I live on the flat(smart move ,eh?) but if I had to shop somewhere and couldnt get into the shade it really wouldnt bother me.

Parking fees...life is User Pay these days...for most things. If you disagree with it don't go there.
FollowupID: 360999

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 17:21

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 17:21
Email to Kmart:

A friend of mine has telephoned KMart complaining about the new regulations on the proposed undercover car park at Katoomba . He explained that he has a 4wd and is concerned not about parking in the sun, but the extremely limited car parks that are not undercover. He was treated very rudly by the customer service staff member on the telephone and basically told that it was tough luck.
I can tell you now that my family also own a 4wd (our only car) and will not be shopping at our local K-Mart store either if this is the attitude of the compnay.

Reply By: allaussie - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:46

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:46
You got it hard they think 4wd's are to big to be on the roads !!!! Lets get the tape measure out and go for a walk in your local shopping centre and find all the cars that are bigger than most 4wd 's
AnswerID: 103478

Reply By: bob@judy - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 07:32

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 07:32
Sounds like Tarago's are banned as well.
Sounds like it may contraven council regs perhaps??
AnswerID: 103539

Sponsored Links