Caravan to Cape Leveque

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:37
ThreadID: 21423 Views:4300 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
After having booked (and payed) through the Broome information centre to take my Phoenix off road caravan up to Middle Lagoon this year I am hearing stories about some laws/rules/legislation being put in place to ban vans from going up there. I know it wasn't recommended that vans be taken up there but I had a reply to an email I sent to the resort futher up at the Cape which said they get my type of vans up there all the time. The info centre didn't raise any alarm bells when I booked a week ago. Can anyone enlighten me on what is going on and the state of the road up to Middle lagoon. It is going to throw my trip plans into confusion if I cannot go up there.
Regards,
Indy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:02

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:02
The Phoenix off road should be fine up to middle lagoon. The owner of Middle Lagoon is great and it was a joy staying there last yearfor several night. The road further north is narrow in places but taken slowly should be fine.
Ray
AnswerID: 103421

Reply By: hanson - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:14

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:14
Indy you should have no problems taking your van up the road... just take it easy.
However when we were last up at Koolimajan we had a Jayco camper trailer with modified suspension, and were told Caravans not welcome as they are trying to keep it Eco friendly??? don't ask me what they mean, we now have a Coromal off roader tandem axle and would luv to find out what the story is You could probably email on leveque@bigpond.com or check the website www.kooljaman.com.au for more info. With your off roader u should be able to get to Kalumburu as well we made it last year the day after they opened the road, and also took off road camper trailer to Mitchell falls, all u do is drive to the conditions regards
AnswerID: 103429

Follow Up By: hanson - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:51

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:51
Indy... back again, just looked up there web site and under facilities near the bottom..... it states "no caravans" suggest u contact them immediately
FollowupID: 360976

Follow Up By: Indy - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 14:16

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 14:16
Hanson & others,
Thanks for your responses. I phoned Broome police and they have no problems with caravans going up the Cape Leveque Road (other than the wet season). I talked to my neighbour who had planned to go further on up to Koolimjan and he was told by them that if he took his van up there they would turn him around and send him back (real friendly mob up there!). Anyway I am content now I will go to Middle Lagoon as planned.
Regards to all,
Indy
By the way Hanson I asume the web site you found 'no caravans' on was Koolimajin.
FollowupID: 361107

Reply By: Member - Bear - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:35

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:35
Friends that traveled with us in 2003 towed a Jayco Outback to Mid lagoon.

No drama at all - not sure about the new rules.
AnswerID: 103505

Follow Up By: hanson - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:43

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:43
Hi Bear,
U can still take campers to Middle Lagoon as I towed our Jayco outback to Middle Lagoon and The Cape, but look on Koolijaman website and they state no caravans, the road is normally no problems, my son used to work in Broome and they drove a holden panel van to the Cape regularly including the wet season ... regards Hanson
FollowupID: 361033

Reply By: Member - Bear - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:45

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:45
Thanks for the update.
AnswerID: 103509

Reply By: hanson - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 14:40

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 14:40
Hi to Indy, re web site ,,, yes it was the Koolijaman website that said no vans. And u r right about the friendliness (or lack of) not too many smiling faces up there wen we were there 2003. But all said and done drive van to middle lagoon and do day trip to the Cape, the scenery is worth seeing better even i u could tent it for a couple of nights, and also have a drive to Hunters Creek ... nice spot and nice loose sand ..... hanson
AnswerID: 103594

Sponsored Links