difference in fuel prices

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:13
ThreadID: 21429 Views:1708 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am a bit bewildered at the disparity of fuel diesel prices especially Margaret River compared to other parts of the state further away from Perth, can't work out the justification for the difference, perhaps someone can advise me
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 16:03

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 16:03
Just look upon it as an exercise in manipulation of the marketplace - you'll be very close to the truth. Evidence for this view is abundant, Australia wide. If they think people in some areas will pay more at certain times, it'll be higher - when they think they have to reduce it a bit to get some market share, they do. We motorists are ideal customers - we get manipulated re pricing, but we still keep buying !
AnswerID: 103443

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 18:58

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 18:58
Of course it's the Big Fuel Companies struggling to make mega profits due to the unrest in the middle east, so they imply. Yeah Right.
Thats why fuel prices jump by 20 cents per litre during the tourist season up here
(Kununurra) because they sell more fuel, they have to charge more for it???
It's all about demand for them, big demand -v- remote location means we can stick it up the consumer every time. We are just lucky that these big comapnies don't get involved in price racking otherwise we wouldn't be able to see the vast 1 cent a litre difference between different sites every day!
I can also relate to the fact that a less refined product ie: diesel is now more expensive than a more refined product ie: petrol. The fact that the number of diesel vehicles is increasing has nothing to do with that.
Quite simply they can stick it up us as much as they want, whenever they want. No motion lotion, no go.
Again we are just so lucky that the federal gov', consumer affairs, ACCC and others are onto these rougues and keeping this industry under control.
AnswerID: 103459

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:56

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:56
I like that expression, "motion lotion". How appropriate, like the "flash for cash" and "evil kanevil" ones etc. Might borrow it if not copyrighted :))
Fuel in the north of WA and the Territory (as well as the Nullabour etc etc etc ) has always been exe. On two trips round Oz years ago I was dumbfounded at how the locals had to pay heaps more for diesel than people elsewhere. (or did they know where to fuel up?).

This country lives and breathes on diesel. No wonder Australia is populated around the edges with not much in the middle. No wonder "de centralization" schemes are doomed. Take away the 4wd tourists and many small towns that are just hanging on will die.

SE Queensland has some of the cheapest fuel (and the worst road designers...they should be shot !) in the country. But if fuel prices are kept high in country areas not too many of us will be able to afford to visit the rest of Oz. Heaven help those who have to live there.

When I bought my first diesel , it cost $1000 more than a petrol. I made that up in 2 years with the lower price of diesel. Now look at things.

Ok settle petal. *deep breath* Sorry people, fuel pricing gets up my nose and has done for years.
FollowupID: 361011

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:00

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:00
G'day Footloose

"Motion Lotion", all yours bud.

Fuel pricing is a subject that will always have me searching for the soap box.
Unfortunately it is a commodity that is the life blood of us all in one way or another and in control of the parasite gang.

Cheers
FollowupID: 361024

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:52

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:52
KK,
you are very cynical. The other day the ACCC successfully prosecuted the industry for price fixing in Ballarat and they were fined $24m - equivalent to a whole executive's annual salary package. So a bit more credit where its due please.
AnswerID: 103481

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:58

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:58
Cynical ? Try this one on for size.

Did somebody forget to grease a palm ???
FollowupID: 361012

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:05

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:05
Sorry Bob

I'm about to take myself to the nearest servo and beat myself about the head with a fast flow diesel hand piece until I realise to the errors of my cynical ways.

LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 361026

Sponsored Links