The Ultimate suspension

Submitted: Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2144 Views:4105 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The above co in Minto offers the above product - I'm considering doing a 2 inch front and 3 inch back lift to a 96/97 Pathfinder (about $1500), primarily as the vehicle sits too low. I believe ride quality should also improve.

What is the verdict on the product / alternatives?

Cheers
Mccoy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen- Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
Mccoy,
I had an Ultimate suspension kit fitted to my old Prado. It consisted of standard rate springs with a 2" lift. The shockers supplied were Bilsteins. I had a problem on the rear sets when the shockers kept topping out (leading to eventual failure) because they were the wrong length/travel for the new springs. Otherwise I could not fault them. The ride was marvellous even after 100,000 km. Cheers Stephen.
AnswerID: 7379

Reply By: Brett - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Mccoy,
I had a hell of a time with Ultimate suspension and after having 5 different sets of shocks go over a 9 month period ORE (with full refund) gave up and sent me to ARB where I had OME springs and shocks fitted and haven't had a problem since (2 years) doing the same type of driving.

Brett
AnswerID: 7381

Reply By: rockhopper_au - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

I think you would get more stisfaction from a lot of other places before Ultimate Suspension. They haven't got a great name around here & the prices they charge for repainted products are astonomical. Like one of the other posts...try ARB first and do some shopping around before yopu commit.
AnswerID: 7385

Reply By: Slunnie - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Hi McCoy, you may only be able to gain lift by stiffening the spring. The Pathy has Macpherson strut suspension, and I'm not sure if you can get strut inserts for them that are longer in length. What that means, is the springs you put in can not be longer than the standard ones because the shocks can not be extended due to the strut design. You may want to check this out. This doesn't mean you can't get some good lift though, as my old 4WD, a Frontera V6 had a 65mm lift on the rear through stiffer springs, though they were just a touch too stiff. I have just redone all of my suspension on my Discovery using Lovells at Strathfield, and they were more expensive than companies like OME/Series2000/King Springs etc, though they did take my suspension apart, measure everything and design some new springs based on specifically what I wanted - so you can have stiff but progressive springs. I will be doing any of my future suspension work through them, but you really must know what you are after. By they way their design man, Michael Cherne is outstanding. Regards Slunnie
AnswerID: 7411

Sponsored Links