Fitting GME TX3400 or4400 to current Toyota prado

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 23:23
ThreadID: 21450 Views:4886 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking about fitting a GME Tx4400 or 3400 to my Toyota Prado. Has anyone done this exercise & if so any tips. Any comments on my choice of radio would be welcomed as I have not purchased one yet.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael Carey - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 07:50

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 07:50
The ideal radio would be a TX4400, but this needs a spare DIN 'hole' in the dash to look nice and neat. The Toyota stereo (depending on age too!) either takes up a DIN and a half space or double DIN. This means a new stereo is needed, yippee!!
If you have a DIN and a half stereo, another option is to squeeze the TX3400's control head in the remaining half DIN space on top of the stereo.
I did this in a mates Hilux. Took a bit of cutting and bending up some brackets but the control head does fit in there nicely, looks like it was meant to be there. I also managed to mount the main radio body on top of the stereo with super velcro. The only remaining problem with this option is finding a place to mount an extension speaker as it's quite hard to hear the speaker on the radio 'hidden' in the dash on top of the stereo.
It all depends on how much time you have, and how handy you are with your hands!
Regards,
Michael.

AnswerID: 103542

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:02

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:02
Michael.

What is "Super Velcro" ?
FollowupID: 361055

Follow Up By: Michael Carey - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:48

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:48
Hi iMusty,
We get this "super velcro" from RS Components. It is a single sex product! It is covered with little "mushroom like" plastic fibres that lock onto each other. The adhesive backing is VERY strong too! It is a genuine Velcro product, so it is a little expensive, but because we are involved with doing car installations, sometimes where there can be "no visible screw holes!", this sort of thing is a must. It STAYS stuck, unless you want to take it off, even then, it can be a bit of a struggle!!
Regards,
Michael.
FollowupID: 361069

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:09

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:09
Hi Franno

I have a 3400 in my Prado 90. Scratched the head for a long time and then tried the simple approach. 2 pieces of velcro on the edge of the dash above the heater vents. 2 pieces on the bottom of the remote head unit - thats the visible part and looks very neat IMHO. the main unit - I put this under the dash and screwed it to the transmission tunnel in a vertical position. approx location above the footrest (we have an auto). ran the cable to the remote loosely up the dash.

have not had on any real rough stuff yet - Cape York later in the year - but so far no problems. can hear the speaker no problems. Also allows easy removal of head and mike unit when in town mode.

Cheers
AnswerID: 103548

Reply By: Member - lc120_man (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:29

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:29
If you got 120 Series Prado the TX3400 would be the go,
and I can send some pics on where it is mounted...
also check http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/120scool/
it is got detailed instructions on how to install it...

AnswerID: 103571

Follow Up By: franno - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:23

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:23
Pics please
FollowupID: 361179

Follow Up By: Member - lc120_man (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:22

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:22
Coming up shortly...
FollowupID: 361565

Reply By: Charcoal RS - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:36

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:36
I have a TX4400 in my 120 series Prado, but to keep it neat I also installed an Outback Rook Console. Looks the part and you get a bit more storage space
AnswerID: 103599

Reply By: North Coast Bob - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 21:26

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 21:26
Hi franno,

I have a Prado 120 GXL and had a lot of trouble working out where to put the UHF radio. Toyoto were no help in this matter(they also provide no spare DIN plate so perhaps they don't expect that a radio will be needed).

In the end I went to Opposite Lock at Ballina and they fitted a GME Tx 4400 in the space below the ash tray. This means you can't access the 12 V outlet but I thought this was a small price to pay. The main advantage of this radio is it has it's own speaker mounted in the front face and therefore no need for extension speakers, etc.

Make sure it is not connected to the ignition as you will need it to work when the engine is turned off.

I can email you photos if they will help.

North Coast Bob
AnswerID: 103646

Reply By: Member - Alan - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 16:29

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 16:29
Hi Franno

I recently went through a similar exercise with my 2001 Prado, wondering where to fit a GMET4200 set. The GMET4200 and a Clarion Radio/CD player were taken out of my previous car prior to its sale - my Son-In-Law (to be) who is in the car audio game came up with the idea of taking the Toyota Radio/CD player unit out and replacing it with my equipment. Both units are similar in size and on top of each other they fill the gap when the toyota stuff came out. IMHO it looks very neat, and I can now hear and see the UHF which was a problem in my previous car.
Food for thought.
Regards

Alanc
AnswerID: 103739

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:54

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:54
It's always a head scratcher, everytime you want to fit a new toy... "Now where the hell am I going to put this one!?"

I actually whakced mine in between the passenger seat and centre console as a quick way to get it up and running when I first changed it over to the surf. I put some silicone on the back of it and stuck it there, a mike clip screwed in and a dodgy old uniden external speaker (that had no bracket) siliconed to the console. It's brilliant, it looks like it would be awkward but strangly enough it's really easy to use, doesn't get in the way, the mike is in the best spot I've ever had it and the speaker is clear and loud for everyone right in the middle of the rig.

Have a look at these photo's:
GME 3000
Uniden Speaker
AnswerID: 103745

Reply By: DrewT - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:06

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:06
same question was asked in post 14556. my answer was ...

I have a Prado120 GXL V6 Petrol and a GME TX 3400 with remote head.
After a lot of mucking around I finally mounted the remote head under the ashtray, just far enough forward that it can tilt slightly upward and the display be seen easily. Just made two small holes under the ashtray to mount the remote head bracket . Handset sits loose in the transfer lever (leatherette) surround & doesn't rattle there at all. Main unit is flat against the inside of the passenger footwell (under the glovebox) with the speaker facing down & out towards the passenger. Drilled a few small holes in the plastic footwell to improve audibility but not sure it is really needed.

Just came back from a couple of weeks Red centre & Oodnadatta track & worked perfectly & could hear the main unit speaker clear as a bell

PS: also mounted the antenna to the rear of the roofrack. but as low as i could so branches dont knock it off
AnswerID: 104016

Follow Up By: DrewT - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:08

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:08
also meant to say that mounting the remote head in this position still leaves plenty of space to use the 12v outlet (although i hard wired the power for the main unit & leave this outlet unused)
FollowupID: 361516

Sponsored Links