Over temp 95 GQ

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 23:38
ThreadID: 21451 Views:1756 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have had a 95 gq for 5 years living in NW WA where the temp is mostly above 35deg. For the last 5 years the temp guage only ever moved to about the quarter mark. Just recently on my last trip home from Perth the temp guage started moving upwards to the half mark.
Have changed thermostat,rad hoses, flushed radiator,replaced temp sender, fan clutch, compression tested and replaced water pump 8 months ago.
My next move was to check oil pressure and reliefs to see if these are over heating the oil. After that removal of oil cooler and water pump to check block passages and water pump cond.
Also planning to change exhaust system for piece of mind.

Anyone know a guru who might enlighten me?
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bryan (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 23:57

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 23:57
Hi strobiz,
I found that when mine eventually started overheating it radiator it self was colapsing.. the fins were coming away form the radiator from mud and red dust. even tho i sprayed water thru the front air cond radiator, there is alot of dirt and crap that builds up between the two. undo the radiator bolts and lean it backwards and wash it out if you havent done that. Mine needed replacing, and i've not had a problem since, i make sure now I thoroughly wash between the two radiators once a year at worst..

regards
Bryan
AnswerID: 103523

Reply By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:53

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:53
I would replace the radiator first as it is probably the original which is 10 years old. That is about as long as you can get out of a radiator and still fully trust it.
If nothing else has changed then spending money on your exhaust will not fix the problem when it wasn't running hot before on that exhaust.
Radiators are an item that will not last the life of the vehicle and just flushing them will not ensure that they dissapate the heat as efficiently as they do when they are new.
I have a GQ 4.2 diesel auto and found a triple core radiator complete and brand new for $430 which I thought was pretty good. As I could not get the 3 core radiator to suit the auto, I fitted a manual radiator as well as an external oil cooler for the transmission which works more efficiently anyway and eliminates the risk of filling the transmission with water too.

Good luck mate,
Brett
AnswerID: 103533

Reply By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:26

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:26
Further to the above posting you don't say whether your Patrol is Diesel or Petrol but when I had the injectors serviced the temp dropped about one quarter of the guage.
There was excessive black smoke before so as it turned out it was overfuelling that was the main cause of my overheating but I didn't discover this until I had spent way too much money on everything else.

Good Luck,
Brett
AnswerID: 103551

Reply By: Bilbo - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:57

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:57
I'll go along with the recommendations about a new rad. Mine was the same but I struggled along with it until I got back to Perth and I don't go bush much these days anymore. Plus the Cruiser now does the job that the GQ used to do. (Well, almost ;)

They do lose efficicieny due to fin loss, birds 'n bees stuck in 'em, mud and internal crud.

Get a new one.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 103576

Reply By: duncs - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 17:40

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 17:40
I'd go along with Bigwoody.

It only takes one tank of poor quality diesel (the kind they sell at the discount places in big cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Perth) to stuff a set of injectors.

Get the injectors serviced & balanced ie. all opening at the same pressure, and get the fuel pump serviced at the same time. If the workshop gets it right you won't believe the difference.

Duncs
AnswerID: 103617

Sponsored Links