Need Power Supply Help

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 13:13
ThreadID: 21464 Views:2009 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys
Im a long time reader - first time poster, however ive recently purchased a tait 2020 series 2 uhf commercial radio... however while i wil be hooking this up into my car, i need to be able to shuffle it between the car, the house and the work office (like move it around once a mth or so)... so i cant hook it up to my car battery... so im asking, whats an alternate... power supply or battery that i can connect the radio to? I really have no idea what im looking for, and have also been told that i need a certain battery/supply that will have a certain amp flow... *confused look*

ive been told such batterys/supplies can weight up to 15 or so kg, which is fine (howver the smaller the better). I just need something that i can hook the radio into for it to work, without the need for an external power supply...

Any advice, links, items that you can recommend would be much appreciated.

Thanks
De
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 13:27

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 13:27
De

To use it outside the vehicle, you could get hold of an old computer power supply and connect it up to the 12v +/- supply from this. This will enable you to run it off 240v AC. It also will have more than enough capacity to handle any current draw the UHF might have. And on top of that, its a cheap option. All you need to do is make sure the socket you wire up to the car 12v supply is the same as whatever you put on the end of the computer power supply and then its just a matter of moving it and plugging it in. I've used a similar setup to power an old car stereo for use in the garage at home. I hope this is of some help.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 103588

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 19:38

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 19:38
Be careful with these, they often have 12V plus AND minus (12V+/-), you do NOT want anything hooked to the minus 12V output.
+ 12v and GROUND ( or common) would be the right connection.
many of these supplies also have +5v, +3.3V outputs so it may get a bit confusing.
Klaus
FollowupID: 361137

Follow Up By: jonboy - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 23:23

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 23:23
hi
Can you use a computer power supply to run a trail blazer fridge?
i only have 12 volt and i would like to run it on 240 as well
anyone with any ideas?
FollowupID: 361303

Follow Up By: techie - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 14:30

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 14:30
A 250W computer power supply will provide +12v @ 6A.
The 12V positive is yellow and the earth is black.
On an atx power supply the power supply is turned on by shorting the green to the black on the 20pin connector.
Looking at the end of the 20pin with the "clip " on the top.
counting from the upper left across the earth is the 3rd one in and the switch is the green wire 4th in.
connecting a Gel battery would help to regulate the supply.
Computer supplies do not like fluctuations. It sees it as a short and can go into shutdown mode to protect the equipment.
Regards
FollowupID: 361335

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 14:15

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 14:15
Suggest you keep it simple.

If the unit has a cigarette style plug on the end of the cable you can plug it into the vehicle's ciggy socket whilst traveling.

For the home or the office, I would suggest a "battery pack" available from Repco, Supercheap, Battery World, etc.
If you get one of a reasonable size (say about 18 Amp Hours, or 500CCA) you can use it as a Jump Starter for emergency use, or to run other small 12 volt appliances.
This unit can be charged from a 240 volt charger pack, or via the ciggy socket of a car.

There are many other solutions, but this is probably the most practical and versatile.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 103591

Reply By: locallaw - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 21:56

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 21:56
Gidday,Just a little more.Most of those radios have a power output of 25 watts and do need to be wired to the battery and not thru the ciggy lighter.If your radio has been calibrated properly it may have have been altered down to 4 watts or close.
Just my bit,
Seeya locallaw
AnswerID: 103654

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 23:41

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 23:41
25 w would be fine thru the ciggy lighter, most lighter sockets are 10a rated thats about 120w, heaps for a uhf
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 361305

Sponsored Links