collie track closures

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 14:27
ThreadID: 21466 Views:1879 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Before you all head off to the Collie area tomorrow night check with CALM as there have been a number of track closures - actually bleep loads - they really don't want us down there any more. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:44

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:44
Hi Maverick,

I don't think it's CALM who don't want us down there. I wonder if this is linked to a Noongar native title claim, which has resulted in closure of a number of CALM campsites (such as Honeymoon Pool). Was subject of discussion on this forum ~ 12 months ago.

Hugh
AnswerID: 103601

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:49

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:49
we were down there last weekend and even the 4WD Assoc campsite at honeymoon pool was closed( I checked before hand and was told it was OK).
Yes lots of other tracks were closed off too. Someone sure doesn't want us down there.
Bigbear
AnswerID: 103602

Reply By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:54

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:54
Thanks for the heads up mate! Was planning on doing a few tracks there before heading to Margs the next day. After a 1000km trip to get there, id be pretty p!ssed off if that was sprung on me unexpectedly.
Its been a while since I was there last.
AnswerID: 103603

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:35

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:35
I think you guys will find that they are closed because of a massive bushfire that went through a couple of weeks ago, we were going down there on a trip with the bushcamping website but we had to change to the blackwood river at the last moement as the fire went through the day before we were due to leave...
AnswerID: 103612

Reply By: Bryan (WA) - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 00:14

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 00:14
Guys, I was down there in Jan with friends and we were talking one of the rangers there. They said after marron season all the tracks on the southern side of the collie river from honeymoon pool was goign to be closed for this winter. Because of the idiots that go down there and wreck the tracks and have been illigally pushing down bush to make some of the camp sites bigger to fit in more idiots, they have decided enough is enough.
All the camp sites along the southern side are also supposed to be closed of by digging them up and returnign them back to nature, not sure if theye did end up doing that also..
As always the minority that go down there are tear up the tracks ruin it for the rest of us who like to enjoy the nature and tacke our rubbish with us and 'tread lightly'...
Yes se did mention the aboriginal group down there would like it closed, but she said it was not being closed becaue of their requests.

lets hope it is going to be opened after winter and the vegetation has had a chance to re-grow.
AnswerID: 103797

Sponsored Links