Powerline/Wandoo woodlands, any probs?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 14:11
ThreadID: 21492 Views:3042 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning on taking the family on the Powerline/Wandoo Woodland trek one day over Easter. Following the 'heads up' about track closures around Collie following fires, and my abandonment of a Holland Track trip for the same reason, does anyone know if there are any problems on these short treks?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter (York 4x4) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 18:49

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 18:49
Hi the Wandoo woodlands area is very dry so take care , there has been no real fire damage in the area , if you are planing to camp with kids try the Pines on Ball rd it is a large open area for kicking a ball around but with plenty of shade .
From perth turn Right in to Yarra rd travel 6.1km and then turn left into Ball rd ,the sign is broken and hard to see but still there (I put some orange tape there a few days ago) go down Ball rd (keep on main track ) for 4km and you will see a stand of Pine trees on your right plenty of camping area (please remove all rubbish thanks)
AnswerID: 103750

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:30

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:30
greydemon, did part of the PowerLine and Wandoo trek back in mid January. Not to bad a couple of areas had deep ruts and wash-aways so need to be carefull there. Some water still lying across the tracks where creeks cross but only about 300-400mm deep at worst. Watch out for silt in th old tyre tracks, otherwise some nice scenery especially when you get to the large rock outcrop. Trust your using the Western 4Wdriver out of Perth book.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 103755

Reply By: Davoe - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 20:29

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 20:29
the woodlines around burra rocks cave hill and victoria rock are all in good nick with no burn out and water to swim in
AnswerID: 103771

Follow Up By: greydemon - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 20:43

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 20:43
Thanks Peter, Duncan and Davoe, much appreciated. Unfortunately we won't be camping as we only have the time for a day trip. I was planning to use the treknotes from this site but will check out the Western 4WD Days out from Perth as suggested, I have it somewhere. The only concern I have is that I don't always buy the magazine and there are often updates to the book so there is a fair chance that I might have missed some changes! Perhaps I'll use both sources to be sure to be sure.

Greydemon
FollowupID: 361291

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 21:08

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 21:08
greydemon, wouldn't mind doing the run over the weekend myself looks like a possibility Monday. Wife's got beeping horse shows for most of the weekend (waste of a good long weekend in my mind. You know what they say love me love my horse.) Post a follow up to let me/us know how things went and how the track/s is/are.

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 103775

Follow Up By: greydemon - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:06

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:06
Will do - going today (in theory) but I am having a slight vertigo problem this morning (happens a couple of times a year and has to be today!) will set off and see how we go.
FollowupID: 361441

Follow Up By: greydemon - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 20:26

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 20:26
Hi Duncan, just back from the trip, all went well. The powerline section was interesting, I'll have to go back there with a mate and try the harder tracks, travelling as one vehicle with my wife and 11 year old daughter I had to use descretion and take the easier option a couple of times, I had no wish to get stuck!

The Wandoo woodlands was easy, basic gravel road stuff. Fairly long, lots of Wandoo, good views from Mt Talbot. Saw a couple of wedgetails up close in that area. The left turn at the top of Mt Talbot is correct but a little misleading, the obvious place to stop and admire the views is not in fact the summit but is opposite the left turn ).2kms further on. We then carried on to check that there wasn't another left turn - there isn't.

Have a look at the Wandoo Woodlands trek notes again - I have just posted feedback about another spot I think is a little misleading.

We went on into York and caught up with Peter from York 4x4, who was very welcoming, and picked up some treknotes and information on the York 4x4 club. Peter also gave me a demo of his mapping software which was interesting - thanks Peter, much appreciated.

Have fun

Greydemon
FollowupID: 361463

Reply By: Peter (York 4x4) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 22:09

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 22:09
Hi I have a couple of trip notes on this area , if you are in York drop into my shop and I can pass them onto you (53 Avon tce ph 0896411600) or if you are passing on the York / Beverly rd just look for the Pirate flag .
AnswerID: 103784

Follow Up By: greydemon - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:06

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:06
Thanks Peter, will call in ...if we get there (see above reply!)

Greydemon
FollowupID: 361442

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:53

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:53
greydemon, glad you enjoyed yourself. Ended up stuck at home this weekend, parents first, then my nephew and his girlfriend came around to show off his new Statesman, (wish i could have afforded a Statesman at 21.). Monday- wife tied up with the horse again. (If i got riden as much as that damn thing I'd be as skinny as a rake and have a bad back to boot, LOL). Make sure your daughter stays well clear of the hay burners, you'll be for ever broke and every weekend is horses. Give me a call on 0417 171 196 or email chunk@q-net.net.au to discuss the trip.

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 103983

Sponsored Links