Lifting the second spare onto the roof

Submitted: Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 20:08
ThreadID: 21515 Views:2679 Replies:16 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I once was a strapping lad. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. This relevation came to me recently when I attempted to lift a second tyre onto the roof rack which is 2m+ above ground.

At a guess, the combined weight (Cooper ST and rim) would be around 40kg.

Do any of you know of any method, or gadget that would make this task easier (I often travel alone in isolated areas).

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 20:11

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 20:11
Just carry a tyre casing. Much lighter and easier to handle. 99.9% of the time you never use the extra spare.
AnswerID: 103840

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 20:42

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 20:42
I use a Daryl. He's home from Uni for Easter. Makes it much easier, just lifted mine up there not 2 hrs ago. If you ask nice you can borrow him.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 103843

Reply By: Member - Bruce B (NSW) - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 23:20

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 23:20
Use a few rags & stages, rags on bonnet then up screen & roll it up the pillar too the rack. Just a thought but it may save the back and we all know that backs are expensive.
AnswerID: 103856

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 00:13

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 00:13
Twin swing away wheel carriers for the back. .. or do your back.
AnswerID: 103860

Reply By: agsmky - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 08:52

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 08:52
Let the air out...It will weigh less.

Andrew
AnswerID: 103872

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 09:52

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 09:52
or fill it with helium......
FollowupID: 361374

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 09:08

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 09:08
How about driving under a large tree & using a pulley from a large branch?. Too bad if U R in the desert though!
Sparky
AnswerID: 103875

Reply By: gregr - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 12:19

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 12:19
get an alloy wheel like i did for the second spare on the rr
leave it flat and pump up when need
bit lighter to lift than a steel and unlikely to use
bl**dy exy $ though
oh well - but cheap if you need it
see you greg
AnswerID: 103886

Reply By: kimprado - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 13:34

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 13:34
Guys what can I say.....

Willem,
unfortunately your idea will cut into my drinking time.

Bonz,
I used a "Daryl" some time ago. The little buggar drank all my grog. I nearly perished. (Met a sheila person on a track half way between Birdsville and Innamincka who was bogged. She had been without grog and cigs for three days. It was'nt a pretty sight).

Bruce,
Do you work for an automotive paint company?

Royce,
Unfortunately I'm not very good with complicated mechanical devices such as dual wheel carriers.

Andrew,
Little Johny Howard has decided to tax air. Therefore I cannot consider you suggestion.

Troopy,
Brilliant idea. I could tow a "smypathy" tree behind the truck. It would perform a dual function.

Greg,
I have alloys and believe this is adding to the weight problem. Perhaps poly rims are the way to go.

I gave this problem some though of my own. The issue may not be the weight of the tyre, but rather the height of the truck. I probably have two options:

Remove all the wheels and in doing so reduce the height. The consequence may be ride harshness, increased noise levels and some loss of vehicle dynamics.

I could tow a Ditch Witch behind the truck and if need be, dig a hole in the centre of the road. Drive the truck into it and quite easily (without strain) role the tyre onto
the roof rack.

What do think guys?

Regards

Kim

AnswerID: 103891

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 16:09

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 16:09
Letting the air out is a great idea, why didnt I think of that 20 years ago :)) I dont like roof racks for a number of reasons and this thread is one.
If you must do it I believe there's a tyre hoist availiable somewhere that enables you to lift and lower stuff from the rack. (I actually found it harder to get stuff down after a hard days driving).
A friend did a test on the weight of alloy wheels vs steel wheels because I'd argued that there didnt seem to be much difference...I think from memory that the steel ones were around 5kg heavier. He was surprised, rekkoned that it should of been much more.
FollowupID: 361390

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 19:57

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 19:57
My idea is still the best. Either you want to rescue yourself or you want to lie around drunk in the desert waiting for the crows to pick ya bones....hahahahahahah
FollowupID: 361399

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 20:18

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 20:18
Hi Kim. Must be a pain, shifting all your stuff from the car into a tent and then backagain. I do it the other way around, my camping gear is lighter than the fuel, recovery etc stuff. I have "slept" in the vehicle but only when the weather was awful or I was too tired to camp.
For me the rack was too hard to put on and take off, it was steel so heavy. In a strong cross wind you'd swear there was something wrong with the steering. It used up extra fuel, and I ruuly hated getting up and down. Even unladen I was always a bit worried I was going to tip over on a sideways slope. Maybe I needed new suspension.
You're right, camping was once so simple. Now it's a heck of a lot more comfortable, or should be. These days I'm almost a minimulist camper, a tent, a light, a bed and some cooking stuff. Mind you its a big tent and bed. No fancy camp ovens, satay latay type foods. If I want those I can get em in the city. No generator, no boom boom box in the car. But I can hear any changes in the engine or tyres :)
If I want entertainment I switch on the HF radio. Or read a book.
Now I'm not knocking those who have the latest and greatest, for we all have different needs and resources. Merely pointing out that just because you dont have it all doesnt mean you cant enjoy your trip as much as the next guy.
And if I should ever think badly done by, I think of those people who ride bikes around the country...my backside and kidneys are sore just thinking about em :))
FollowupID: 361402

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 20:48

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 20:48
Hi Footloose

Frankly I don't think that I have changed my camping set up much over the years and still try to keep it simple.(Though I started out in a LJ50 Suzuki 2 stroke with all the necessary camping gear and now fill a GQ Nissan). I hate roofracks as well. There is a 3l/100km difference in fuel ussage without the roofrack. We have gone from blow up mattresses and tents, to swags, to sleeping in the truck and now to foldup camp beds and the latest Oztent(scissors type). The vagaries of later age are upon us and one has to make camping as comfortable as possible. I do have some of the modern toys but only use them when I need them(laptop and gps for mapping and camera downloads).

If I had a Troopy I could do without the roofrack but need the bugger for the tent, beds and spare casing these days.

FollowupID: 361406

Reply By: Joe - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 14:49

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 14:49
Hi Guy's,
I have been told about a ratchet rope, and am looking for one at momemt.
You hook it onto roof rack and wheel, pull down with your body weight and the ratchet holds that stroke,until the next pull....raising the wheel in stages....sounds great just have not find one as yet.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 103895

Follow Up By: kimprado - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 18:21

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 18:21
Hi footloose,

Boy have you hit the nail on the head. After a month of travel it becomes a pain. I sleep in the truck but carry a tent on the roof rack which I put up each night to store the odds and ends in.

Next trip (June) I'm just going to run a tarp off the back of the truck and have nothing to do with the roof rack.

When I was a kid we would put a couple of potatos in a sack and go camping. We would use the the sack to sleep in. Some how, every thing has become very complicated!

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 361396

Reply By: ginga - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 16:25

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 16:25
Off topic but ... going on your username I'm guessing you have a Prado? & there's a limit on what can go on the roof of 75kg; worth checking load limit I think.
AnswerID: 103901

Reply By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 20:20

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 20:20
Hi all,
The hilarity is fine for those who are still FIT!!!
Due to becoming a senior cit ,I now find it quite difficult to heave oh the landy spare up on to the back door.So have made up a little thingo that hooks over the roof rack and using one of those auto cheap boat winches quietly lift spare or anything I need up onto roof rack.Not necessarly a speedy operation bit oh well who's in a hurry,
Cheers ,Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 103913

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 20:55

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 20:55
This Senior Cit thing is a pain, eh?....hahahahaha. I crossed that threshold in 2003, bugga!!

I cant wait for those punctureless tyres
FollowupID: 361408

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 22:31

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 22:31
If the spare MUST go on the roof why not assist it with a $99 12v boat winch
suitably mounted.
A simpler way is a rope around the wheel (a thick one) and climb onto the roof
Its easier to pull it up than push it up. Getting past most of you guys but think I could still manage it.
AnswerID: 103922

Reply By: turbopete - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 13:47

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 13:47
its simple fair dinkum u blokes know nothing all u have to do is put the tyre on the end of a fulcrum climb onto the roof rack spit into the wind so as to estimate wind speed and direction yell BANZAI and jump on the end of the fulcrum easy the tyre should if ypu have estim,ated correctly land on the roofrack
AnswerID: 103949

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 17:42

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 17:42
Damn it!! I missed and now it's jammed in the broken rear door window. Any more ideas LOL.
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 361452

Reply By: kimprado - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 14:14

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 14:14
Turbo,
Why in hell didn't I think of that? Do I need protection?
Regards
Kim
AnswerID: 103950

Reply By: turbopete - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:17

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:17
Kimprado do u need protection ???? of course ... remember those ads from a few years back,well if u dont have protection thats what happens it gets stuck
AnswerID: 104068

Reply By: turbopete - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:21

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:21
jiarna u got it half way,,good lad,,just jump from a greater height next time,,,no problems,suggest u keep a stock of doors and windows till u get it right,let me know how u are going
AnswerID: 104069

Sponsored Links