4wd Experiences

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 17:12
ThreadID: 21527 Views:1579 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the planning stages and would be interested in postive or negative experiences re 4WD capacity.
Looking at a 18ft van and assessing alternatives between 3.2litre Turbo Diesel Pajero and 3.00 litre Turbo Dieslt Patrol.Welcome any experiences.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 19:14

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 19:14
For long term towing you would be better off looking at a 4.2lt diesel. By the time you have overloaded the 18ft van it will be up around the 2.5 t mark. Modern day three ltres are pretty gutsy vehicles but not proven over a long haul. Towing in the cool southern climes may be Ok but when you get up in to the tropics overheating may be an issue. Depends on what you want to do.

If you were to be more specific about your requirements you may get more detailed answers.
AnswerID: 103904

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:24

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:24
Wise - definately agree with Willem. For that size van, a 4.2 is the best option.
The 3 Ltr Patrol engine is a Renault design - had some early teathing problems.
Blown engines etc replaced by Nissan. Check out the Patrol Forum for more info.
I understand that the Pajero DID is a world class design - but as it was only released in 2002, it hasn't had time to prove itself .
We have a 1999 4.2 TD Patrol - basically a copy of the Perkins long throw diesel - used through-out Asia in buses and light trucks. Old technology - no computers, push rods rather than OHC; mechanical injector pump - not electronic. Tow a 'Coromal 420 offroad' with it - to offroad locations.
Owned a diesel Landcruiser for 15 years before the Patrol. It was also good.
While the new generation diesels are technologically superior, the technology can add to the repair/service cost (eg costly to replace cam belts ), and they are yet to prove their reliability in the long run - after say 400,000 klms. (My oppinion only - I work with computers, and know their short commings.)
Join other forums (Pajero and Patrol) and ask the same question there.
The answer will also depends on
1. how long you intend to keep the 4WD - short term or long term, and
2. the locations you want to visit - eg always on main roads, or outback.
Good luck with your research...................regards......
AnswerID: 104186

Sponsored Links