MQ, diff locker, front or back ?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:24
ThreadID: 21548 Views:3586 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have an old MQ patrol turbo diesel, albeit in good condition. Is it better to put diff locker on the front or rear. Air locker / other. Confused
wrick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:13

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:13
If you can only afford one, I'd put it in the front. And go for an Air Locker there. If you want to put something cheaper in, a Lock-Rite would be the go, but as you can't turn it off, I'd put that in the rear so it doesn't affect your steering in slippery surfaces. That's what I'd do anyway - plenty of others have done it differently.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 104009

Reply By: gregr - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:45

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:45
mate i ahve a gu patrol
put an arb air locker in the front
as a very good lsd in the back already
absolutely now a different vehicle in the sand
and i tow a kk 1500 kgs plus
if you have an lsd in the back go front arb air locker
and no not that hard to steer when on - just as if dont have power steering really
just need to make wider turns

just my opinion
see you greg
AnswerID: 104013

Reply By: biscuits - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:25

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:25
If its a factory turbo diesel then I would guess it should already have a factory LSD in the rear (mine does at least). Either way, I think many people would agree the front is the best place for it.

As for what locker, air lockers are the best and most expensive. The lockright lokkas (or however spelt) would be my choice however. They are an automatic (mechanical) locking differential. Some people say they are horrible to drive with, some people say they are fantastic. I've driven a landcruiser bundera with one fitted in the front and offroad I barely noticed (driving wise) it was there.

If I was going to get a locker for my turbo diesel it would more than likely be a "lokka" in the front. But thats just my two cents?

Cheers,
Dave.
AnswerID: 104053

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:00

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:00
Rear...

Most drive comes from the rear when going up hill(when you usually want one), or when coming out of a bog, usually the back is the last thing in.

Also if your going up a slimy rock/hill and the front has locker, loses traction, they can tend to pivot around on the only rear wheel not spinning, as it has grip, other rear tire is spinning so has no grip either, you can end up facing where you came from, or on a really nasty angle. Was told this by mate who works at ARB HO.

IMHO, Air lockers have too many advantages over others - mainly being YOU CONTROL IT, it doesnt control you
AnswerID: 104159

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:03

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:03
After 6 months with twin air lockers I find it's mostly the rear I'm locking when climbing steep hills. There isn't much weight on the front on steep inclines so in the interest of good steering I leave the diff open unless it's "oh bleep look at that"
Not keen on mud and big bog holes.
AnswerID: 104169

Sponsored Links