Madigan Line

Submitted: Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:02
ThreadID: 21559 Views:6947 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
A group of us would like to do the Madigan Line this winter, in June if possible.

We are all running turbo diesel Landcruisers, some factory, some aftermarket.

I would like some advice and information.

How much time should we allow for the crossing. Is it OK to do it east to west. How much fuel and water should be carry. Who do we need permits off, and what are the chances of getting them, and can we by pass the sections where we are unable to get permits. Has anybody done it with off road trailers.

Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:41

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:41
Can't answer many of your questions but having done country to the west of the Madigan Line. I would say that you are pushing $hit uphill with trailers but that is your choice. There was a recent article in 4x4 Australia Mag about a similar trip. They had a major breakage with a 100 series.

Go to my website, click on 4x4 and then read The Spinifex Trail. This happened a while ago but it will give you some idea of the terrain. Once again east to west is more difficult due to the way our winds blow across the continent.

Good luck!
AnswerID: 104056

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:45

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:45
I'd allow at least a week, preferably more, probably take longer.
West to east would be better, lots of fuel and water, work out your worst consumption and take more. I had a 1hz troopy and we used nearly 25 l/100k, sometimes more.
Permits unobtainable for QLd section, and also Aboriginal land in NT.
ABSOLUTELY forget trailers, hard enough with vehicles.
Make sure all vehicles are in absolute perfect condition paying particular attention to suspension and cooling system.
AnswerID: 104057

Reply By: crowie - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:08

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:08
Simon

Firstly the Madigan Line is just that. Going overland between geographic points that Madigan recorded as he travelled on foot with camels. There is no road like the French Line. Your really have to choose your own course. There are however some more travelled parts because you can take guided tousr. Also apparently very hard if not impossible to obtain permits for aboriginal land.

I was in Birdville two years ago when a couple came in with one of the best equipped OKA's I have ever seen after doing the whole of the Madigan line. The vehicle had broken splines on the left hand side front drive shaft en route. The owner had been able to jam some timber into the hub which got them into Birdsville. He said it was literally bush bashing and log jumping and would have been easier with a D9.

If its not an offence to go to the opposition check out http://www.overlander.com.au/pg/destinations.php?dest=66.
AnswerID: 104066

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:00

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:00
I did the Madigan Line last year with Aussie Tracks.

> We are all running turbo diesel Landcruisers, some factory, some aftermarket.

If any are the IFS 100series, I'd leave it at home. You'll break the front end on the Madigan Line. Rigid Front LandCruisers and Prados would be OK.

> How much time should we allow for the crossing.

We took 12 days from Alice to Birdsville.

> Is it OK to do it east to west.

No, you won't get up the steeper slopes. When crawling over spinifex, you can't get a run up, so the dunes although not very tall, are more difficult. From teh west is the only way.

> How much fuel and water should be carry.

300 litres minimum for 6 cyl TDs.

> Who do we need permits off

You won't get permits for camps 3,4,5 and Camps 17,18,19. Andado station need to be contacted for camps 1 and 2. The section across to Colson Track and onto camp 6 is very overgrown and difficult - you'll stake a few tyres there. Camps 6 thru to 15 is crown land. Then I'd suggest you head south to Poeppels corner, and out along the QAA line. You will have had enough of walking over spinifex at a snails pace.

> Has anybody done it with off road trailers.

Forget it. Minimalist approach with plenty of the essentials is required. Once you cross the Colson track, you are committed as theres no way out until you get to camp15. Need to be fully self sufficient - no one will come to help you out there.

Its a hard trip but well worth doing for the experienced desert traveller looking for a greater challenge. Doing it with a company like Aussie Tracks is the best way IMO - they take all the hassle and worry out of. They are the only tour company willing to do the Madigan Line, and David and Joan Owen have done it 8 times, and placed the markers for the camps. No affiliation - just a satisfied customer.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 104158

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:27

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:27
Phil
I was going to say that the view of Madigans Line from the Colson Track would suggest that trailers were not an option in the wildest dream.
FollowupID: 361650

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:19

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:19
Hello Phil, was very much hoping one of Joan & David's mob would reply - it was a good trip, eh - but tough as. Good reply, well done.
FollowupID: 361766

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:13

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:13
Hi Ruth,
Trip was toughish, but pleasantly so. We had no problems, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. May even do it again next year.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 361780

Follow Up By: Member - Tom M (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:11

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:11
Phil,

How long did it take on the Madigan itself and how much fuel did you have left?

Me and some friends are also doing it this year (latish July) and I'd appreciate any further info you've got?

Regards
Tom
FollowupID: 362546

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:47

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:47
Tom,

Fuel used by our group was:
Prado TD: 180litres
two 105series with aftermarket turbo: 240 litres
80series and Troopie with 1Hz: 215-220 litres

this was actual consumption. Naturally you'll carry more. I had the Prado and took 240 litres; The 6 cylinder diesels took 300 litres (Alice to Birdsville). Suggested water was 100 litres/vehicle/2 people.

From memory, it took about 7 days to go from Old Andado Station to Camp 16. Best to not be in a hurry :-))

Cotact David Owen before you go. He has a great interest in the Madigan Line and will offer helpful advice too. I think his email is still:
dowen@outbackadventures.com.au

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 362562

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 19:17

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 19:17
Would just like to add that we got 8.53mpg or 33l/100km in a Suzuki 1.3litre doing the Simpson from Jervois Station to the French Line. This was around 500km of Offroad driving. Hard stuff but happy to have done it.
AnswerID: 104196

Reply By: Member - Tom M (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:15

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:15
Simon,

I'm doing the Madigan as well this year, 3-5 vehicles

When are you going? Do you want to share some planning information?

Regards
Tom
AnswerID: 105439

Follow Up By: Simon - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 05:58

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 05:58
Tom,

Please contact me off the group at scevans@optusnet.com.au

Simon
FollowupID: 363304

Sponsored Links