Finally a broken 4.2 TD story...

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 10:47
ThreadID: 21577 Views:2546 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday again,

Just a story to bring a smile to the faces of a 3L owner. Was away on the weekend, my mate just picked up a 4.2 TD series II GU. Was used only as a reps vehicle between Perth and Adelaide. Has 125,000 k's.

He moved it yesterday and realised after he jumped out (motor was off) that he left it in gear. He reached in and flicked it to neutral and heard a wierd chink noise. Got back in and it was stuck in 5th. Appears selector (our layman diagnosis) has let go.

So our mate with a 80 series (whom we've towed several times) was quite happy to travel from Brisbane to tow him home on a car trailer. What a bugger! From memory the 5th gear was a weak point in the series II, correct me if I'm wrong.

For others info, just ticked over 20,000 in the TD6, it's still loosening up and it's going in for a tune at Brisbane Turbos in the next few weeks so I'll let you know if the figures have changed.

Apart from that, really happy with the vehicle. Hope yours is going great too!

Cheers

Chris.

P.S - Swapping the 3 inch kit this week for a 4 inch, got so much weight in the truck, it needs a bigger lift to settle to a good height. A mate is buying the 3 inch for his shorty maverick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JamieMac - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:14

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:14
Chri

I was Trol'ing thru your list of goodies and note that you have a 'Turbo boost adjustor'. What type is it? I have been looking at several options for this mainly to reduce wastegate creep rather than increase boost. A little bit more boost obviously helps but it sits bang on 10 psi as standard presently.

Basic boost controllers are simple manual bleed which reduce the pressure at the wastegate actuator. Some have a pressure relief valve which means the wastegate actuator has no pressure until it opens. I was looking at a combination of PRV with a self bleeding regulator. What effect did you see from fitting your device in relation to the other work you have done?

While I am asking questions have you dne anything with the butterfly gizmo after the intercooler? I was considering ditching this once I get further into the engine upgrade swing. I blanked the vacuum hose to the emision stuff which means it does not work, along with the EGR, anyway so I might as well get rid of the restriction. Mind you removing the weight of all the emisission gear could only help the consumption as well.

Will be interested in you latest dyno figures when you get them done.

cheers
Jamie Mac
AnswerID: 104134

Follow Up By: Ian from Thermoguard Instruments - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:59

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 17:59
Hi Jamie,
Send me a direct email if you'd like the details of my DIY wastegate creep eliminator.
FollowupID: 362712

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:56

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:56
Chriso,

Struth mate, the heading nearly gave me heart failure...........4inches.....argrrrrr (homer)

Browny.
P.S. No cape trip for me either now, You'll have to come down here........:-)
AnswerID: 104191

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:36

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:36
Gday Browny,

Sorry about taking soo long to reply.

Thought it might freak a few out!!!

No, all is well. What happened to the cape trip mate? Mine was a result of shutting down the business and paying lots of big bills!

cheers

Chris.
FollowupID: 362555

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:07

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:07
Chris,

The grand plan was being arranged with another couple, and we both have young familys so we were hoping to arrange for the girls and young'ens to fly up to maybe weipa and join me and my mate for the return trip for a few nights but the other wife has got cold feet and tipped a little bit to much acid on my mate so "Next Year" is the call.................we'll see!

Browny
FollowupID: 362577

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:20

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:20
Why would 3l owners be smiling? They use the same box!!

Leroy
AnswerID: 105519

Sponsored Links