Challenger Questions

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:42
ThreadID: 21599 Views:2228 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After owning a Pajero for five years I have now gone to a Mitsu Challenger.
The mods have already started with the dual batteries put in over Easter and the new radio /gps Uniden 105. But now to upgrade the stereo system!
Can anyone tell me if they run the speaker wire to the rear in the standard Challenger and if anyone has upgraded their speakers in the doors.
Thanx
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SantaAus - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 19:03

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 19:03
Dave,
Firstly i don't own a challeger, but to answer your question I would run new Speakers wires to the speakers as the standard wiring dosen't have the best of sound quality. Most standard speakers in all late model cars are of reasonable quality but you can pick up some decent Sony or Alpine speakers fairly cheap. (Personal, I would replace them) The Door panels ahould come easily most are just push clips around the edge of the panel, the door handel will have 2 screws and since it should be a/windows you won't need to worry about the window winder.

Hope this helps
SantaAus
AnswerID: 104194

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:29

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:29
Dave, I have been driving a Challenger around for a few days and it has a reasonable stereo system. I wasnt aware of models/specs, but this one does have rear speakers. If yours does not, then I hope you are looking at replacing the head unit at the same time as fitting rear speakers. If it doesnt have rear speakers already, then the head unit is prob only 2 channel and wont support adding rears.

Is the wiring there for rear speakers? I would say yes...but thats a guess. I believe it costs more to have two different wiring looms than just the one standard one. But again, this comes back to the other Q about the head unit and how many channels.

PersonalyI would replace the head unit with a nice Pioneer or similar and also make sure it was MP3 compatable and has the stacker controls built in. That way you dont burn your bridges so to speak. If you want to burn disks it will read them and you can fit nearly 100 songs per disc and you also have the option later if you want to add a stacker....just plug it in!

Most head units are at least 4 channel and about 50w each, so there is no need for an amplifier. So reasonable head unit, quaility speakers and your system will sound great for YEARS!

I hope this helped??

Matt.
AnswerID: 104232

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:20

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:20
I've had a Challenger for years & it came with speakers in the rear BUT I have to tell you the design location is poor. When the doors are closed, the speaker tends to get hidden by the seats and when people sit in the back seat, they muffle the sound even more. My hearing is crap anyway so I haven't bothered to change them although if it was up to my kids, they'd have me install better speakers up on the cargo barrier or somewhere in the back away from the seats. Just something to consider.
AnswerID: 104279

Reply By: udm - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:56

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:56
Hi, I have left all the original speaker/player wiring in place, (installing new player, speakers, looms, etc), so if in the future you sell the car, it´s easy to restore the factory bits.
AnswerID: 104344

Sponsored Links