79 landcruiser over heating

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:57
ThreadID: 21609 Views:1948 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
my 79 series ute keeps over heating on hot days i have looked all thru forum and found a few idea's any way it has after a market turbo (safari) 3inc exhaust bull ba r the spot lights have been removed new termostat, hoses, radiator has been cleaned termo fan was replaced non genuie since replaced it with old one after adding new oil and i have just put oil cooler on i gess i'll have to wait for hot day to try it out again .the ute only gets hot at 110km+ or when towing at speed ,the exhaust temp after turbo is around 450 c at 120km with max temp around 590-600 (foot flat) i have been in contact with safari they sagested getting radiator from fdt 79 series but seeing they have the same part number does not seem too be much of a advantage oh and it does not use any water and as soon as you back off it cools strat down but the hot the temp gets the slower you have to drive to stop it getting hot as slow as 80 km hour thats if you want to keep the air con on when towing any surgestions would be good thanks wilbur
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: niikki - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:26

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:26
Hi Wilbur,
We have a 79 series landcruiser tabletop with after market turbo, we had the same problem as you with over heating .... The engine is getting to much fuel, we actually had to back off on the amount of fuel it got ...which made a load of difference.
Also go to toyota and buy two tubes of viscous clutch fan oil( about $10 for both) and pull the vicous fan off the engine and then pull the clutch apart and put the two tubes in with out loosing any of the old oil, then put back together and put it on, It did fix the problem. IT is a very easy job anyone can do it. you will ruin the engine if you over heat it , you don't want the needle to move at all.
This is what we did with our 4wd after costing us heaps to find out why it was over heating.
By doing this you might fix the problem and cost you less in the process..
If you have any questions send me a email and i'll send my phone number so you can talk to my husband who knows more and can explain it all better to you..
PEACE
Niikki
AnswerID: 104280

Sponsored Links