the long weekend.

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 23:37
ThreadID: 21639 Views:2117 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
well its come and gone, and we are all back at work now,,,,,tho wishing we were still on holiday :).
we decided to go south this time, all the way down to Denamrk.
had a great time doing the tourist thing, and somewhere along the way, fell in love with the place. there is just so much to see and do down there that it would take a life time to cover it all.
went out to Boat Harbour...www.BoatHarbourChalets.com.au. .... and had a bit of a chat..(more of a gasbag really) with Zac and his wife (thanks for the tip Allan), nice place out there, set up for campers/caravans/tents, and even got a chalet or three. a bonus was the clean ammenities blocks. this place is actually on a working farm, and the kids had a ball looking around. next time we go down, i think this is where we will be staying.
anyhoot, the treetop walk is amazing, the giant tingle tree makes you feel the size of an ant, and the coastal scenery simply is majestic to look at. decided that we should go to west cape howe, but managed to get lost somehow..(even with the gps on :( ), so will have to get there next time.
we bought a Cobb just before we left and had fun trying to work it out as we went along. nearly burnt the roast to a chrisp one night, but got to it just in time,,,just a bit charred on the bottom.
all in all we had a great time and cant wait to go again,,,,,,,,,,i wonder if the boss would give me a few weeks off :):)

rick

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:21

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:21
Rick, I lived in Denmark for about 2 years as a teenager. A bit boring sometimes in winter, having moved from Bunbury, but summer holiday's were awesome. All those tourists with teenage daughters !!! te he

The local bakerys do a roaring trade at easter, they have a good fair on easter saturday too.

We now go down that way almost every year, this being one of the few easter holidays we havn't.

Did you go out to the actual boat harbour and have a look. Great coastline that. Rugged. Windswept. Massive waves. I have camped with a swag there. Lovely !

Walpole is nice too. A few nice B & B's, some fishing in the rivers. Heaps of nice camping spots (up Deep river is one ). The pub is reasonably freindly and does OK meals.

I find this area, as most people would, better when it's not school holidays.
AnswerID: 104402

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:45

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:45
gday muzz.
yup got a few very nice pies from the bakery,went down real well.
have a mate who's got a shack at Wedge, reckons it was overrunn with yobbos and twits this year,, we are sooooo glad we went south.
went right out to boat harbour,,,and up one or two of the tracks,,,,got the battle scars down the side of the patrol from one that got a bit to tight. as we stood on the big rock outcrop overlooking the little bay, i was picturing me there with a fishing rod in my hand......:)
Walpole was real nice,,,,,lovely quaint little town, we stayed right away from all the " acomodation" places, we're self sufficient when camped, and prefer to be out in the sticks.
there are a few camp spots around the area, we were told about Deep river, Mt Frankland,Fernhook falls, The Rangers residence area, a new one called Banksia camp, Cosy corner, and Parry's Beach.
considering we were there over easter, there was'nt a great deal of people about....maybe they all went up to Wedge..:):).
had a great time down there and will definately be going back.

rick.

FollowupID: 361919

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 07:35

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 07:35
Going to be there towards the end of May when we do the South West as part of our BIG WA Trip. Hope that the weather isnt too cold by then. Have not been to the SW yet and looking forward to it. Also going to do the beach run east from Israelite Bay to Pt Culver and then on to Cocklebiddy and beyond.
AnswerID: 104408

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:53

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:53
hiya Willem, could be a bit chilly down there at the end of May, could pay to take the thermal undies mate.
there is heaps to see and do down that part of the country, you could have a month of Sunday's and still only scratch the surface i reckon.
however i do reccomend that if it is open, you do the Tree Top WAlk.
standing on a swaying platform, 40 meters above the ground, whilst trying to get a decent photo, and take in the trees still way above your head is exhilerating--and then you look down.....:):):).
make sure that the fishing gear is all ready and set to go, there are some real nice spots down there.
all in all i reckon you might just like the place.
give us a yell when you are heading over.

rick.
FollowupID: 361921

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:55

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 20:55
Thanks Rick

I am hoping that it will be a good day and that I will be able to make it up the Tree Top walk(I have a mobility problem).

Not worried about the cold so much as here in P'boro we have a lot of sub zero temps in winter along with an icy wind at times. Will bring the thermals :o)

Going to be in Perth around 7th May or thereabouts and for about a week to 10 days.
FollowupID: 362043

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 21:39

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 21:39
gday willem,
mate doin the tree top won't be a problem i think.
the whole thing is spread out over a fairly large area, and all sections of it are no more than a gentle slope. they even reckon that wheelchairs,,,tho they need to be assisted,,,,don't have a problem.
have a look on my member bit,,,posted a photo there.

rick.
FollowupID: 362046

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:52

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:52
I am glad you ike the place. Not only is is it well set up we feel it is actually pretty safe for the kids as well.

The only down side is the time it takes to get there you really need a long weekend to justify the travelling.

Did you get down to quorum beach?
AnswerID: 104423

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:00

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:00
gday Allan, yep we had a real good chat with Zac at Boat Harbour. he was only to happy to fill us in on the in's and out's of the place. kid safe it definately is, even his little pony was up for a good ole pat and a scratch.
we did the trip down in about 4 and a half hours, and came back in 4. definately not an overnighter, but close enough for a long weekend i reckon.
didn't get out to Quorum....crickey, i even missed the track out to west cape howe.....gotta blame the GPS for that i think. :)
will plan our next trip a bit better, and give ourselves a bit more time to explore specific area's.
have you ever been out to that Sandalwood place...Mt Romance.?
it's amazing what they use Sandalwood for.

rick.
FollowupID: 361923

Reply By: Member - Karl - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:32

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:32
Hi Rick,

We are heading down to Busselton for the first week of the school holidays so I intend to have a good look around. I am going to take the kids fishing - just bougth myself some heavy duty line and big hooks, so I hope they can swim well LOL.

Have been to Margret River and whilst I enjoyed it I found it a bit pricey - but this time we won't be doing to many of the wineries.

I have been thinking of doing a run up to Julimar State W51403, near Bindoon, for a look around sometime after that - it might be worth a good day trip.

Karl
AnswerID: 104426

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:05
how are ya Karl, long time no talk....gotta agree about Margaret river, as nice as it is,,, i think the yuppies have taken a hold.
not to sure how far from Busselton to Denmark/Walpole,,,,but would make a nice sojourn .
i heard that Julimar had been closed, tho i could be wrong,, will have to check on 4WDOOP for info. if open i'd be in it for a day trip...:)

rick.
FollowupID: 361928

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:10

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:10
Depending ont he day you pick i may be interested. Keep intouch.
FollowupID: 362229

Follow Up By: Member - Karl - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 16:27

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 16:27
Allan,

No problem - it should be in May (early).

Karl
FollowupID: 362270

Sponsored Links