Tyre Feedback Please: Yoke-Geolander

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:12
ThreadID: 21644 Views:3462 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Friends with a new Forester are considering an outback trip with a few of we usual suspects - current thinking might find the worst surface in the plan to be those stony sections on the Oodnadatta Track. The Subaru has Yokohama Geolander 215/60 -16's as OME. Though they are careful drivers, those rocky surfaces can be cruel to some travellers - we don't want them to be put off outback holidays ! The Oz Yokohama site is not up yet - will look for more corporat info in the meantime but nothing beats first hand reports from the field !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:17

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:17
Hi Banjo, i thought i could get away with standard Patrol tyres and careful driving until half way along the Oodnadatta Track i shredded a tyre.Then a nervous drive after bypassers say, " Gee you were lucky to make it this far with those crappy tyres on". We made a detour out to Coober Pedy from William creek ,initially starting at Marree, rather then risking any more tyre problems.. That was 6 years ago, iv'e learnt a little since then. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

There's time to rest when you're dead,
Get out and do something instead!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 104428

Reply By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:43

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:43
At the very least they should upgrade to AT tyres. The standard highway jobbies, particularly in a 60 series, just won't last the distance and will be pretty hard to replace in most places.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 104444

Reply By: Member- Marc - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:22

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:22
Banjo,
As well as the my Prado my wife drives a new Forester, the tyres on the Forester are fine for general road work and smooth dirt at low speeds i.e. driveways and the like . However, we have damaged a tyre bad enough requiring replacement by hitting a pot hole close to home (thanks local council!!!).
This said these tyres wont last the distance on even good tracks like the Oodnadatta, i would strongly suggest they consider changing prior to departure.

Enjoy.

Marc
AnswerID: 104451

Reply By: DD64 - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:43

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:43
Try OFFROADSUBARUS.COM.AU there's quite a few forrester owners there & plenty of info on the OEM's & alternatives.
AnswerID: 104573

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)