Tyre Feedback Please: Yoke-Geolander

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:12
ThreadID: 21644 Views:3659 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Friends with a new Forester are considering an outback trip with a few of we usual suspects - current thinking might find the worst surface in the plan to be those stony sections on the Oodnadatta Track. The Subaru has Yokohama Geolander 215/60 -16's as OME. Though they are careful drivers, those rocky surfaces can be cruel to some travellers - we don't want them to be put off outback holidays ! The Oz Yokohama site is not up yet - will look for more corporat info in the meantime but nothing beats first hand reports from the field !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:17

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:17
Hi Banjo, i thought i could get away with standard Patrol tyres and careful driving until half way along the Oodnadatta Track i shredded a tyre.Then a nervous drive after bypassers say, " Gee you were lucky to make it this far with those crappy tyres on". We made a detour out to Coober Pedy from William creek ,initially starting at Marree, rather then risking any more tyre problems.. That was 6 years ago, iv'e learnt a little since then. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 104428

Reply By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:43

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:43
At the very least they should upgrade to AT tyres. The standard highway jobbies, particularly in a 60 series, just won't last the distance and will be pretty hard to replace in most places.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 104444

Reply By: Member- Marc - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:22

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:22
Banjo,
As well as the my Prado my wife drives a new Forester, the tyres on the Forester are fine for general road work and smooth dirt at low speeds i.e. driveways and the like . However, we have damaged a tyre bad enough requiring replacement by hitting a pot hole close to home (thanks local council!!!).
This said these tyres wont last the distance on even good tracks like the Oodnadatta, i would strongly suggest they consider changing prior to departure.

Enjoy.

Marc
AnswerID: 104451

Reply By: DD64 - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:43

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:43
Try OFFROADSUBARUS.COM.AU there's quite a few forrester owners there & plenty of info on the OEM's & alternatives.
AnswerID: 104573

Sponsored Links