Free camping near Hay NSW

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 19:33
ThreadID: 21668 Views:12676 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Its now less than four weeks till we leave on our trip to Wa from Canberra. Looking at the maps today our first night will be somewhere near to Hay on the Sturt Hwy. We would like to find a free camp site for our stay and wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 19:54

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 19:54
Cannot recommend a better purchase than " Camps Australia Wide2" this publication is amust if you are travelling Oz.
Check out www.campsaustraliawide.com
Looking at the ma[ for Hay it shows:
Nine Mile reserve - Rest area located 11km W of Hay or 118km E of Balranald. It indicates Overnight Camping 20hours max, toilets, etc refer Hema 29E10
also
Illilawa Reserve - Camp spot located 118km W of Darlington Point and 8km E of Hay. Dry weather access only. It indicates overnight only, minimum facilities Hma 29F8
also
Brandons Bend- Camp area located 3km E of Hay. Dry weather access only. All facilities. No dogs

there are others shown but cant be beggerred typing any more :-)

Havent been to any of these info is staright out of book

Best purchase I have ever made for camping info

Over to you :-)
AnswerID: 104553

Follow Up By: brumac - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:04

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:04
Thats excellent thanks. The book obviously has a heep more information than any of the books I've been looking at today. We are going on a long trip so i will try and buy it before we go. You often hear of books that you MUST HAVE but you also need to draw a line some where. This one sounds like one we can't go past.
FollowupID: 361894

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:15

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:15
Did ya check out their website?
"http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/" Camps Australia Wide

The book lists:
Rest areas
Free Camps
Natioanl Parks
State Forests & Parks
Low Cost caravan Parks
over 2800 entries
plus
Hema map x references and GPS reference points

I did a 15,500 km trip last July over 6 week period and only had to pay for campsite 3 nights. Paid for the book many times over.

They are about to release ver 3 soon
FollowupID: 361897

Follow Up By: brumac - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:25

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:25
Yes just had a quick look. I have seen the book before in the shops. I will look again, it sounds really good. With the price of fuel the way it is we will need to save money on camp sites as much as possible.
FollowupID: 361901

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:34

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 20:34
Last time I will bother you on this :-)))) but I am just so wrapped in this publication I can't help wanting to share it with ya (and the others that are following our thread)

check out the sample pages shown here:

http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/html/images.html

Click on each one to expand it to view, particularly the " Sample Legends" one

Last post (I promise) :-))))))
FollowupID: 361906

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 17:04

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 17:04
G'day mate,

We've just done a 2 week trip to NSW to visit relos at Ulladulla and Narrandera. On the way over, we camped at one of the several spots on the river (Murrumbidgee), just east of Hay. There are small signs at several spots which just say "RIVER". Some of them (like the one we chose) require you to go through a closed gate, but this is not a problem; the gate was not locked. You can camp where ever you like, right on the banks of the river.......don't forget NOT to camp under a widow-maker (River Red Gum tree)!!!!!

To the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions on how long you can camp at these sites; at least I did not see any signs etc.

Have a great trip.

Roachie
AnswerID: 104692

Sponsored Links