Solar Ststem Sizing...

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 21:06
ThreadID: 21672 Views:3341 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Wonder if anyone could help me 'size' a solar set up for my Landcruiser to run a fridge and a freezer ?

My Deep cycle battery ( second ) is a Century N70T 75 amp Hours ..20 hrs..It has isolator switches and was installed by a competent electrical person who does this all the time..

Now I intend stretching the holiday to around 2 months and will be using a little Engel 21 litre as a freezer, and a 39 litre one as a cool/ fridge for salads etc !!...and we want to go to the Kimberleys June -July -August ( from Sydney) and stop wherever we wish...and have enough power to keep everything as it should be ..for a couple of days or so , ...without running the engine all day to keep up !
My sparky checked out my fridges consumption and when cold both draw approx 3.6 amps..in total.. when both running, less of course individually ..my man however admits he has no ideas/ experience with solar panels etc....and I have very little idea anyway !!!

Hopefully someone out there with experience can fill me in on what I should consider / buy in the line of suitable panel(s) a good controller, and a battery monitor ???... that will let me see the state of charge etc.of my battery .?? and do I need all these things ??
Wondering also what the difference is between an Amorphous, Polycrystalline and Monocrystalline panels is !!!..its all a bit of a mystery at the moment !

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:16

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 22:16
Steve,

There would be a wealth of experience on such matters within this forum. However, if you want the real, practical, no-BS lowdown on solar power - invest about $35 to $40 on one of Collyn Rivers' books on the subject. I've just finished reading 2 books by him. One was "Motorhome and Caravan Electrics" and the other "Solar power that really works".

Both lay it all out in simple terms. An investment.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 104602

Follow Up By: Jolly - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:58

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:58
Hi Steve...

What's the name of the book...

Cheers,
Jolly.
FollowupID: 361958

Follow Up By: Jolly - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:59

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:59
Sorry....Bilbo..
FollowupID: 361959

Follow Up By: Grungle - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 13:06

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 13:06
Go here http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/books/index.htm to find out abour Collyn and his books. I have his "Motorhome and Caravan Electrics" as well and it has given me a great understanding of how everything works.

Regards
David

FollowupID: 362003

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:03

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:03
Yep...will be at the 4wd show next week (Sydney) will get them there I hope !!
Ta
steve
AnswerID: 104640

Sponsored Links