Camping at Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill) NP

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 15:20
ThreadID: 21692 Views:2564 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Help please. I know there are limited camping sites but I understand the sites themselves are of limited size. Has anyone been there with a large camper trailer and able to comment on the space available ? Also, I'd like to know how the National Park compares with Adels Grove for camping. I get the impression if you camp at Adels grove you would be driving to the NP rather than be in walking distance if camping in the NP. Any comments appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony J - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 15:58

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 15:58
Hi,

My wife and I were there last July. We tried to book a site by ringing QLD Nat Parks but after their recorded messages told me 4 different phone numbers, I finally got a human on the phone, gave all my details, dates, vehicle rego, number of peolpe and ages, put on hold for 10 minutes and then told No Vacancies!!! All this from a public phone box! Well, we rang Adels grove and no problem, plenty of sites. We had a large camper trailer and fitted very easily. But, when we drove from there to Lawn Hill, (its only about 8k's or so), the nat park camp ground was empty!!!! Was also told when there, that if the camp ground is full, just camp the night just outside the camp ground and see the ranger in the morning and they'll try to fit you in. Seems to be a big difference between the shiny-bums in the City and the people on site.

Further goss we got was, Official line is you must book. Unofficial, just turn up - if there is space the ranger will fit you in. I believe Nat Parks is wanting to close the camp ground at Lawn Hill and make everyone camp at a commercial camp ground (Adels Grove) - just like they did at Canarvon Gorge.

Lastly, we were glad we camped at Adels Grove. Great facilities, even a restuarant, had an ice cream or two, has a shop, really nice spot to relax before the next section of your trip.
AnswerID: 104678

Reply By: Mike - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:30

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:30
You also forgot to mention that there are also hot showers at Adels Grove. there really is no question, the rangers at Lawn Hill don't want you to stay there.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 104688

Reply By: Longreach - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:45

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:45
Many thanks. My original concern was with space for the camper trailer but on hearing all this I have booked Adels.
AnswerID: 105044

Reply By: Member - Landie - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:50

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:50
We stayed at Adels last August (with Camper trailer).. Great place and certainly the pick of the two to stay at.
AnswerID: 105051

Reply By: Cookies - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:32

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:32
I agree with previous comments that Adels Grove is best place to stay - Probably no need to book, but maybe wise to call ahead and check if you are going later than mid-June. We suggest camping down by the river/creek - we were there with our camper trailer for 4 nights last June and it is beautiful. Shady, close to the water (swimmable) and heaps of room because the sites are not marked out or bordered - you just pick a spot under a nice tree and have plenty of space. Only about 10 mins drive into the NP.
AnswerID: 105569

Sponsored Links