Challenger loose gearstick

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:37
ThreadID: 21698 Views:1768 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Was driving the challenger the other day, changed back to 2nd and noticed the shift felt a little funny, accelerated and changed to up 3rd and yeah something was not quite right, kept driving and I could get all the gears no problem, no strange noises or anything just the shift between gears has gone loose or slopy. The gearstick will also rotate slightly in my hand now. I was visiting another town 200k's away and drove around for the rest of the day and all the way home and it didn't get any worse, or better.

Any ideas what the cause is? Is it serious or going to cause further damage? Will take it to the mechanic next week but not sure if I should drive it too much before then?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: old-plodder - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 17:49

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 17:49
Have you checked the bolts that hold the cover plate over the gear stick?

Used to have a mini in the 70s that had a gear stick that regularly came loose.
Interesting experience handing the gearstick to the current girlfriend of the time and saying "hang on to this for a while" until you could stop and bolt it back down. Some felt the car was falling apart and you see the panic in thier eyes.
Current wife passed the test with only a slightly raised eye brow at the time.
(Now I know there are those who will read all sorts of conotations into this!!!)

Current 74 beetle did this to my son last month too, after a month of sloppy gear changes. Just a good test to see if he is fit to drive and not panic at any little thing.

Of course it could be more serious such as linkages or the selectors in the gear box but look at the simple things first.
AnswerID: 104698

Sponsored Links