Tyres for desert travel reading.

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 03, 2005 at 15:49
ThreadID: 21743 Views:1905 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
If you haven't already, take a peek here. Good practical info thats easy to understand.

http://www.beadell.com.au/tyre_information.htm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 03, 2005 at 21:23

Sunday, Apr 03, 2005 at 21:23
Yes, very interesting.

Of course you may use just about any tyre in most applications and be puncture free as long as you keep the rubber away from stakes.

We did a 500km Off Road through the Simspn Desert on BFG MUd Terrains(shod to a Suzuki however)(two vehicles) and did not get a puncture. At about the same time my mate Ron Moon and a group were travelling the Madigan Line and they experienced 45 punctures amongst 10 vehicles. Them are the breaks(or punctures for that matter...hahaha)

AnswerID: 104990

Reply By: V8Diesel - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:09

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:09
Good find Footlooose, that should be compulsory reading for anyone who purchases a 4WD IMHO. All 100% true and it clearly and factually tells it like it is.

I was a Field Manager for mineral exploration crews in the north-eastern Goldfields of WA, and we would simply send anyone home who rolled up with radials / road-grippers etc for cross country work.

My advice for tyre selection was always don't listen to salesmen, magazine journo's or 'experts' on the other side of the country. Talk directly to the folks who earn their living every day 4WD'ing in the specific area you intend to traverse.

Muddies = good in mud and tracks, no good for bush bashing.
12 / 16 ply rags on splits = good for bush bashing, no good in mud, poor on road
Horses for courses....
AnswerID: 105048

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:56

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:56
Totally agree. The sand dunes of the Simpson are quite different to some of the tyre killing mining roads, and stake infested bush tracks of WA. And that's not even cross country :))
FollowupID: 362232

Sponsored Links