Gibb River/ Kalumburu Road update info

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 04:24
ThreadID: 21757 Views:2477 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I see people are talking about the roads and the water levels etc so thought some may be interested in up to date info.
If it doesn't rain any more the GR road is expected to be open by mid April. MRD predicting about 12 th April at present. They are grading from both ends now and were almost to the Pentacost from the Kununurra end 2 days ago.
If it doesn't rain anymore the water crossings on the GR road will be low as they are already quite low now. The GR road is closed due to the cyclone damage to road round ELQ and Home Valley not due to depth of water. Except for the over 400 mm in one day that the ELQ area got, in general in a lot of the Kimberely it has had a small wet season.
The Mitchell plateau missed most of the heavy rain from the cyclone but quite a lot fell around the King Edward crossing, nothing like what fell at the coast near Kalumburu or what ELQ got though. Major damage to Emma Gorge Resort, they are rebuilding and will be open a bit later in the season. The shire plans to inspect the Kalumburu road shortly and then we will know what the story is further North of us. At present I think it will only be a matter of how soon the grader can get through rather than depth of water. May be a bit different story thru to Kalumburu, it may be wetter up that end as Theda Station got 360 mm and Kalumburu got more again.
We have had the odd year with heavy rain early April BUT if it has finished we are in for a pretty dry year.
cheers, Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterll - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 06:52

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 06:52
Hi Anne,

Thanks for the up to date information on the GRR. We will be wandering down that way in late April, (assuming my wife decides not to spend too much time barra fishing in the gulf country) and after experiencing the Pentecost a couple of years ago it gives a good feeling to know that it might be tad lower on this trip.

cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 105019

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:01

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:01
Hi Anne

I am trying to work out if you stayed up late or were up early!!

We will be up your way at the beginning of June. Thanks for the reports. We are just itching to get away....started packing the car yesterday for some reason!

Thanks for your reports. I gather that the cyclone didn't really affect you apart from a bit of rain - though your bit of rain might really impress us in dry old Melbourne!

Andrew & Jen
AnswerID: 105021

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:09

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:09
"...started packing yesterday..." Bit soon isn't it? But then again, so did we LOL.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 362228

Reply By: Lyds - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:18

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:18
Hi Anne,

Its surprising (to me anyway) that not more of the area suffered from the rains; but its not a small place is it.

We'll see you late June. Please let the graders know we're coming :-)

AnswerID: 105023

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:33

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:33
Hi Anne,

Sorry to hear you didn't get much rain, hope you got enough to water the pastures?

Will be up there early August, hope the graders have been by then!

Looking forward to passing through and saying g'day, won't miss us with the EO wheel cover.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 105042

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 15:54

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 15:54
Hi Anne,

Read in the Kimberley Echo the the shop at Kulumburu whent broke, any idea if this is a problem for supplies if heading that way?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 362263

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:08

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:08
Thanks Anne, good to get a detailed update from a local. We'll be sure to call in and say hi in June.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 105047

Reply By: Member - Alan- Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:43

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:43
Great to hear from you Anne. I'll be up that way mid June to mid July. It would be longer but the cook will need to get back and my work won't let me have any more time off.
Not that it makes any difference to prduction but they've got some funny ideas relating to pay etc!
Like the others I'm fussing around the vehicle looking at things a dozen times and wondering what else I can get the cook to agree to me buying!
Looking forward to it and will definitely drop into to Drysdale R S.
Alan.
AnswerID: 105050

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 14:23

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 14:23
Hi Anne, great to see you on line again. People will be pleased to get your report.
AnswerID: 105090

Reply By: Indy - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 15:33

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 15:33
Hi Anne,
We are planning to visit you in early June. We were planning on going further up to Kalumbaru for a few days. Is it still too early to say if it will be worth going (or will be able to go)? From the news reports they seem to have got quite a bit of damage up there and I was wondering if we should have a backup plan.
Regards,
Indy
AnswerID: 105102

Sponsored Links