GU Patrol suspension upgrade

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 12:20
ThreadID: 21766 Views:5436 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am trying to gather information on aftermaket suspension for my new 4.2TD Patrol wagon.
I have read so far that OME is overpriced, every dealer sells King springs anyway and that castor kits and steering dampers are (most of the time) unecessary. ARB tells me that TJM stuff is no good ('made in Brasil') etc. How do OME, TJM, EFS systems rate?

I tow a campertrailer weighing around 900kg, prefer a 50mm lift to level out the rig and travel mostly on dirtroads (outback Queensland). I also carry extra water, fridge, recovery gear and food for several days camping. In the front I have dual batteries, (Nissan) bullbar and a winch.

With no independant suspension place around where I live, can anyone recommend a 'complete solution' or is it actually possible to 'mail order' all the bits (springs, shocks) and have them locally installed??

I greatly appriciate your comments.
Jo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: johnsy1 - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 14:11

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 14:11
Used OME on the same vehicle as yours factory steel winch bar no winch though and installed them myself. Only used sping clamps on the front then got slack and used a fork lift and chain and lifted the back up till the spring had no tension.I only used a medium spring but still got 50mm lift rode lovely in the bush and good articlulation.The best advantage was the improved ramp over angle.
AnswerID: 105084

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 14:19

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 14:19
I'm pretty sure if you contacted an independent suspension business that they would supply you hardware only and send it to you, particularly if you explained your situation.

I have Koni shocks and King springs on my GU - very good. From what I read Lovells springs are also very good in combination with the Koni shocks.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 105088

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:28

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:28
I'll second that Hugh!

50mm Lovells and Koni's on mine.
FollowupID: 362287

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 14:42

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 14:42
Jospod,
I put all the OME stuff on myself, didn't put the steering damper on seeing as the one I had was only 2 years old and didn't have enough scratches on it to warrant replacing it. I didn't do the castor bushes either, I bought them with the intention to change them out as soon as the springs had settled after a month or two, still haven't done them three years later. The handling improved on my GQ when I changed out the castor bushes so I'll do them eventually. The OME kit came with the sway bar extensions, these require drilling and aren't as straight forward, a bit of time and thought and it's all relatively easy. Watch the brake pipes on the front axle, let the bracket go before you drop the axle down saves ripping the brake pipe apart.
If you jack the car up on the axle, take the wheels off and put axle stands under the chassis rails you won't have to use a fork lift, unless you have one handy of course, I didn't. I tow a similar camper trailer and also got a 50 mm lift. I have the winch bar plus winch and the drawers in the back, the old GU handles well, no problems as far as I'm concerned. My views as usual
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 105093

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 15:31

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 15:31
jp,

Kings & Konis a ripper combination, I had them fitted to level out my rig for towing a heavy tandem trailor + tools and stuff in rear for work also gives a great off road ride when loaded up for camping etc etc, I went for 50mm lift all round with a heavier spring in rear due to only ally bar on front.

Toperformance
Trade Place
Vermont Victoria

are the Koni distributors they suggested King springs for my GU, if you give them a call I'm sure they would help with advice and where to get'em fitted up your way

sorry I havn't got their number just ring telstra or who ever.

Browny
AnswerID: 105101

Reply By: Member -Peter (York 4x4) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 16:03

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 16:03
At the risk of saying "ME TOO" I have king coils and Konis fitted I do a lot of off road witha fair bit of stuff on the back and have found this combo works great , althoug I am having polli bags fitted to the rear for extra long trips and for towing ,asI had them on my last 4x4 and was very impressed ,
AnswerID: 105106

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:13

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:13
If you know anyone who subscribes to 4WD Monthly, there is a mob doing several combinations of springs and shocks, with free postage too.

Also, SNAKE RACING have a couple of options to choose from.
AnswerID: 105144

Reply By: KJN - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:31

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:31
I trialled EFS for the company last year travelling over 16,000klms incl.Oodnatta Trk , Old Ghan , Tanami , Bungle Bungles , Gibb River Rd , Marble Bar areas , Ningaloo Reef , Karijini NP , WA Goldfields . I have a Nissan 4.2l Turbo 3yold . The previous 2 years travelled with the standard suspension , incl. Simpson Desert and other desert tracks . We found the vehicle was a lot more stable with a better ride in the cabin with the EFS . We do not tow as we have a fitted out canopy and carry 130l water , 72l fridge freezer , full recovery gear plus tent , camping and food supplies . We could fuenish you with further info if required .
AnswerID: 105172

Reply By: Peter McGuckian (Member) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 22:22

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 22:22
I firstly looked at Kings+Konis but fitted Ridepro+Dobinsons. Cheaper, ride well and have lifted just over 50mm.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 105207

Sponsored Links