New Hilux

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 13:15
ThreadID: 21767 Views:2385 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have not seen the new Hilux yet or spoken to a salesperson as to why some of the changes have been made but can anyone tell me why Toyota would have moved in a different direction to everyone else on wheel sizes. The "standard" SR 4x4 dual cab has 6" x 16" rims where I would have thought 7" x 17" was the norm. The "luxury" SR5 has 7" rims but has 15" dia rims!

I am not all that keen on 17" rims because I have 6 fairly new 16" offroad tyres in the garage and if I buy a new 4x4 it seems my 16" may be useless to me. I would have thought 17" rims would be more comfortable off road, (Toyota seem to label the "luxury" SR5 as an off road vehicle). 17" rims do not fall down potholes like 15" rims do. They ride over them better and therefore surely would be more comfortable?

Any comments anyone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 15:59

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 15:59
Hello - while I havent researched it to any great extent I think you will find that even though the rim size has changed on some vehicles - eg Prado now 17" - the actual total tyre diametre hasnt - the hole in the middle is just 1" bigger. So the SR5 16" tyre (205R16c) is actually the same overall diametre as the Prado (GX) 17" tyre (225/70R17)....cant see how a 1" difference in rim diametre would make any significant difference off or on road?? Though there must be some reason for it.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 105104

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:49

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:49
Unless one asks questions we never learn or be pointed off in the right direction to research and learn. Thanks for your pointers. If the rolling diameters are to same because of the tyre profile then rough road performance is not going to be effected except for the reasons given by other forumites below. If the rolling diameter is less because the rim is 1" smaller the wheel will tend to fall into holes rather than bridge them. We had small cars and large cars in the family and I have always noticed how the larger cars with their larger wheels are smoother on dirt roads.
It will be interesting to see what the salespersons say about the change. They might surprise me with educated answers, then they might bullbleepme because they do not really understand either.
If I like the new Hilux it looks like I will have a set of good Coopers for sale.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Richard
FollowupID: 362296

Reply By: Baldrick - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:55

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:55
The larger diameter wheel are to allow for larger diameter brakes. You can't retrofit 16" wheels to a Prado for example, because they won't fit over the callipers.

A smaller rim size would logically be better off-road because the tyre would bag more when deflated (compared to a tyre of the same rolling radius), but manufacturers these days are more interested in on road manners and safety.
AnswerID: 105119

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:50

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:50
Cheers. See my comments to Greg.

Richard
FollowupID: 362297

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:02

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:02
Hello - apparently with a bit of angle grinding the older 16" rims will fit.
Understand the benefits of lower profile tyres but really would 1" make a noticable difference when other variables also come into play (road conditions, vehicle weight, tyre pressures, speed, tyre brand, driver experience)? There may be a theoretical advantage but I doubt the average Joe (me) would notice. Also, as has been discussed before on other posts, the length of the tyre footprint is far more important than width so the abilty of a tyre to "bag" sideways is not as important as overall tyre diameter and its ability to "bag" forwards/backwards...again theoretically the larger rim/lower profile tyres have a disadvantage...again doubt if it would make noticable difference considering other possible variables (when comparing 16" to 17"). My conclusion on 17" rims - could just be a marketing ploy for 4WD's and in reality doesnt matter which you choose/are made to use.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 362299

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:54

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:54
Big rims with low profile tyres are better for high speed handling and braking (less give).
Smaller rim with a tyre that has more sidewall is better for offroad handling (more give).
AnswerID: 105163

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:51

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:51
Cheers, see my comments to Greg above.

Richard
FollowupID: 362298

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:06

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:06
Its meant to be a "WORK TRUCK" based machine, not a maller...

theres 100's of them around, try any yota dealer between cranbourne and ringwood in melb... pass dozens every day
AnswerID: 105186

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:30

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:30
Too far to travel mate, I live in Sydney. Anyway I live on the north shore, why would I travel to see one? I just ring up and they bring one around to my place! Someone on the forum said they looked "orrible". If it is bigger than the old one and has 15" rims it will look strange.

Keep trucking mate. (I hope you are not one of the 80% that are on drugs!!!)

Richard
FollowupID: 362355

Sponsored Links