Tyre Vowes.

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 16:50
ThreadID: 21776 Views:2399 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Will you, 1995 Toyota Surf take these 31" Goodyear Wrangler MTR's in sickness and in health?

If anyone objects to this marrgige please speak know or forever hold your peace.

Cost is $233 a tyre fitted and balanced, includes free balances every 10k and free puncture repairs (including minor sidewall damage). The place is almost walking distance from home so very conveinent for those free repairs! ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:00

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:00
Hey! You gunna finally get that thing off the bitumen (LoL)? Does Bec know about this?
AnswerID: 105113

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:08

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:08
LOL, doesn't that old computer of yours show the pictures in my rig pics!! :-P

Yeah I've been working on her about these for a while! The final straw was hitting a branch (well a lot of branches!) out at Yellowdine over easter, the DD's held up well but there is a small patch of canvas showing on the passenger rear tyre and they are almost down to the wear marks on the tread. So it's time to say bye bye to the ol' faithfulls.
Totally shocked I didn't get a puncutre though as we did some driving where no man had been before (well there were no tracks anyway so it felt like it) and drove over some pretty sticky/branchy stuff. But don't worry everyone I was very carefull and didn't destroy the nattive bush, in fact I drove so lightly I couldn't even find my tracks on the way out and had to back track with the GPS! ;-)
FollowupID: 362273

Follow Up By: Rod W - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:32

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:32
Speaking of old (not me) when ya gunna up date the web address on this rig/profile page?
FollowupID: 362275

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:48

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:48
There ya' go cobba. I even put a hyperlink up for it.
FollowupID: 362276

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:02

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:02
Sounds like a good deal Jeff

Hope you dont have to walk there at all

crazie
AnswerID: 105114

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:11

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 17:11
Me too! :-) But it's always good having someone close to home for those quick fixes. Don't want to have to drive half an hour to get a pucture repairs cos it's free, it wouldn't be worth the effort!
FollowupID: 362274

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 18:25

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 18:25
Gee Jeff,

You had such a good run out of the DD's, I'm surprised you want to change.
The DD's at $168 are still far cheaper than the $233 you will pay for the Wranglers.

The freebie's probably don't equate to a lot. Puncture repair is what...$20...if needed?

Course, if the MTR's turn your Surf into a "mean mother of a truck" then I guess I can understand your reasoning:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 105127

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 15:41

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 15:41
Yeah I still think I'm crazy, especially with the DD's on special for $150 each.....
But yeah, the DD's are pretty rough around the edges, noisy, aquaplane like your driving on black ice (not that the MTR's will probally be much better I spose) and they fill up with mud just as fast as an AT then become a muddy slick.
I was seriously looking at the ATR as they have that nice centre groove to disperse water and as we all know unfortunatally even us that go bush alot still do the majaoriy of our driving on road. The problem is that the MTR is the only one with the tripple sidewall, the ATR does not have this. And as you can see by the rig pics when we do go off road we like to get stuck into and not pussy foot around so I think I'm going to have to comprimise in the muddy's favour...
FollowupID: 362384

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 15:51

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 15:51
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention the most important part. The MTRs look cool! LOL
DD's look like they should be on a 75 series ex mining vehicle. Or a Brickys trailer.

I've had a good look around at all the Muddy's and I reckon that the MTR's (with my limited knowledge of tyre physics of course) would be the better on road in the wet as they see to channel better, but hey I could be wrong. The missus drives the car a lot with the kids in it and I want it to be as safe as is practicle.
FollowupID: 362387

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:26

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:26
I bought the same tyres at the end of January this year. Very impressed with them. Although I paid $245ea and got none of the backup they're offering you.

They may be 31 x 10.5 however mine measure 29.53 x 8.85 (width across the tread blocks)

I was a tadbleepoff when I measured them however they work great so I'm over it.

My last tyres were 225/75 16 BFG KOs and I prefer these except for the noise.

GO FOR IT!!! Nothing should get in the way of true love!!!
AnswerID: 105150

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 22:54

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 22:54
"My last tyres were 225/75 16 BFG KOs and I prefer these except for the noise."

This is a little misleading. I meant to say I prefer the MT/Rs. Just didn't make the journey from head to keyboard properly ;-)
FollowupID: 362317

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 15:54

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 15:54
So you preffer the 15" rim to the 16"? I was toying with the idea of whacking some prado stealies on and going 16". (I've seen a few like that, lifts them up no end). But I've kind of conceeded that to fit the bugger in the garage I'm just going to have to settle for the 31 15's.
Good to here from someone running the same tyre, it's actually pretty hard to find people with 31" MTR's. Don't seem to be a lot around.
FollowupID: 362388

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 16:46

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 16:46
Now you mention it I haven't seen anyone running 31in MT/Rs either. Plenty of 33s and their metric equiv though.

The deciding factor for me to use 15in rims was my work saying "here are 4 very near new 15in ROH Track II silver rims for free".

If it was up to me I would prefer the 16in wheels but even if I had to pay for the rims it would still have been cheaper to use 15in rims and 31in tyres over 16in rims and 245/75 tyres (or whatever the equiv metric 31in tyre is).
16in tyres are supposed to have higher load ratings and would handle better on the road AFAIK.
I have seen 90series Prado rims on Rodeos before which looked great. Although when I looked around they were pretty expensive. You could always try telling the tyre dealer you'll buy his tyres if he throws in some old Prado rims for free. I've heard of people succeeding with that line before. If height is a concern you could always get the 16in Prado rims and put on the 245/75 tyres instead of 265/75 that they probably come with.

I did have to buy a spare rim though to make up the set of 5 ;-)
FollowupID: 362397

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:40

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:40
Sounds like a match made in heaven Jeff M. Just put MTRs on my car and love 'em so far. Not too noisy either tbh.
AnswerID: 105154

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:05

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 20:05
The only concern: having seen the nice series of pics in your "my rig" pics, If you drive like that with them often, you will chew them out quickly. My last set lasted a year and I had patches the size of your hand that were down to the canvas.
That said, my car is 4 tonne, and i drive it like I stole it.

Ive also just gone out and got my second set of them ($325 ea.. cheap?) and was damn impressed at how smoothly they ride when all the tread is actually intact. Good value, tough sidewalls, plenty of traction in the rough.

AnswerID: 105165

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 15:48

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 15:48
Yeah it's pretty cool that series, it was taken at the old Jimkana (spelling?) track out at Kal over the easter break. Unfortunatally that was the easiest climb we did the others would have been excellent photos, the others were just too long to take photos of and once you were up, no bastard wanted to go down the bottom to take a few happy snaps! LOL We only had one camera too so it made it hard.
Yeah I really only give it curry on the "boys days out" which are probally only a couple of times a year. When the missus is in the car she'd be belting me over the head with the fire extinguiser before I did anything more than a basic river crossing! ;-)
On road we take it pretty easy around town but on the highway we tend to push the envolope a bit and are generally pretty heavy, probally 2.5-3 tonne I guess. But Highway driving's not too bad I guess a lot of straights and sweeping corners wouldn't be that bad would they?
FollowupID: 362385

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 16:27

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 16:27
I thought i caught a glimpse of a salt lake in that lower pic. Not sure which hill it is though- the ones I've found so far from gymkhana are spotted with small trees. Might have to go hacking around this arvo till i find it.

Watch out for those fire extinguishers. Its not as though they are camouflaged, but they still come flying out of no where.

In regards to the aquaplaning- I was running DDs on my 45 series troopy. That thing actually jumped off the road a few times when it ran through a puddle on one side. As I recall it was often towards the nearest lightpole, I guess it thought it was a cat. The MT/Rs still pull, but no where near as bad- I dont have to change my daks after driving through a puddle anymore.

They sqirm a bit on tight swerving moves, but with the bodyroll of a loaded 4wd its hardly noticeable. They are fine on the highway.
FollowupID: 362393

Sponsored Links